• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MEXICANFLYBOY

Flight School Grounded, Students Allege Fraud

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS4) ―
Anna Pelevina says she paid $70,000 with the hopes that she would receive an FAA license and employment as a pilot at the end of the program.
1 of 1

Close
ico016x014close_modal.gif

Dozens of students at a Fort Lauderdale flight school say they lost tens of thousands of dollars after the program they registered for was grounded.

They told CBS4 News Reporter Joan Murray that when they showed up for class at Jet University on Friday located at the Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport, the owners announced they were shutting their doors.

One affected student is Anna Pelevina who says she paid $70,000 with the hopes that she would receive an FAA license and employment as a pilot at the end of the program. Instead, all she got was debt.

"We have been wanting to do this since we were kids. It's our dream," Pelevina said referring to herself and her fellow students.

Students came to Jet University from around the nation and the world.

Travis Middleton says he moved here from Wisconsin to fulfill his dream.

"I'm devastated. I'm out $70,000 and no one else will be willing to give me a loan," he said.

Students say they were misled by the owner Heath Cohen. CBS4 News contacted Cohen by phone. He said his business partner decided to shut the program down.

The partner denies that and says he sunk $300,000 of his own money into the business. He wants a full investigation.

http://cbs4.com/local/flight.school.grounded.2.1005521.html

Last edited:
05/08/09. Jet University has shut their doors and is out of business. Heath Cohen is nowhere to be found and he has left Gary stuck with dealing with this disaster.
In the end there were between 20-30 students enrolled at Jet University that will not be able to finish their flight training at the school.
We are getting some information that Gary is trying to do the right thing and arrange for the current students to transfer to another local flight school at his expense.
Considering that Gary lost more than anyone in this enterprise, we must give kudos to Gary for making this effort. It's obvious that if Gary had been involved with Jet U from the start that this school would still be in business.
Students with Wachovia loans need to immediately contact Wachovia and let them know that Jet University has shut down.

after working with the owner of Jet U at gulfstream i could of told everyone this was going to happen. This guy is a piece of work, i am having a beer tonight and toasting to him being a piece of ----! I hope someone finds him and he gets what he deserves! I hate that so many students were taken advantage of and just hope they can find help in the leagal system in some way!

I hate it for the people who were scamed by these outfits....but I am glad they are going out of business.....These "puppy farms" are no good for anyone except those who try and profit from the scam....

Flight schools based at FXE give me the creeps. Anything called Jet U should have been a red flag, you dopes. Go find a good instructor at the local school, and do it the right way. Hour by hour.

Heath Cohen is a Comair flunkie. Slap the cuffs on that punk.

FSI Flight Academy in Vero Beach is the way to go. Pricey but worth it.

Latest resources

Back