• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet University, BABY!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Somebody enlighten me here... I'm not a 121 hopeful so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I've lurked around FI enough to read my share of PFT debates.... Why is it that the 121 world in the States can't operate like the JAA folks on the other side of the pond? Isn't their system a rigorous and methodical track that eventually puts you in a major jet? Why can't that work in the States? Is it because it makes general aviation even more economically prohibitive? (I'm coming from the general knowledge that general aviation in Europe is just economically out of reach, period.)

I may be uninformed, but I don't hear PFT being a prevalent problem for our European folks, I guess I'm not quite sure as to the reasons why the JAA track and the FAA track to the airlines seem to differ so much.. (not sure what the pay differential is between the Europe folks and our 121 operators...)

Overall, would emulating the JAA be a step in the right/wrong direction or is it irrelevant?

Last edited:
If you look closely at the plane under the "JET U" banner, it looks like it has a smiley face. And, you're right: they'll be smiling all the way to the bank after you're done with their program only to find out that "AL's School of Trucking" would have been a more lucrative option.

The verdict's out on Jet U: Another PFT program taking you for a ride.

I guess I'm not quite sure as to the reasons why the JAA track and the FAA track to the airlines seem to differ so much..

There is no JAA or FAA track, period. Regulatory bodies don't move people into employment positions; they set standards of certification, and enforce the regulations set forth to govern.

In the United States, unscrupulous companies have found that enough self-inflated dirtbags floating around out there exist who will pay to work, that they sell seats in their airplanes. This isn't new, but it's garnered more attention over the past few years. The result is individuals who's primary qualification to be in the cockpit is that they paid to be there, rather than individuals who worked hard, dedicated themselves to their career, and who earned the right to be in the seat by being the best candidate for the job.

On the same side of the coin, these individuals tend to lower the bar by proving that a steady supply of pay-a-dime-a-dozen pilots exist to fill seats...keeping wages low, standards low, and respect for the profession low. Ironically, it's usually these same fat-wallet blowhards who whinny the loudest a few years down the line, screaming that they should be paid more. The same who defecated in their own bed, wet on the industry, and vomited where they ate. They never see the damage they do at the time, but cry the loudest that they're not treated as special as they'd like as time goes on.

Why is this different in the United States, vs. Europe? The flying community and pool is much,much larger in the US. For a long time, the primary customers of the pay to play programs were foriegners, often europeans and middle easterners. They would show up with the cash to play, buy their jobs, and then go home with their hours to a government subsidized job in a much smaller pool of pilots.

Even Eruopean airlines, such as Lufthtansa, has their training facility here in the US...starting students from scratch ("ab initio") to move from a Bonanza to an airline seat in a record short period. Interesting that cost dictates the operation be conducted in the United States...fly in the southwest and watch out for the yellow bonanzas that are flown by broken english crasheumups that blow into the pattern with fifteen radio calls and eyes on the panel...the ones flying fifteen mile downwinds, who will be your next pilot when you ride from Bonn to Berlin. If they didn't have that school, they'd probably be paying for their jobs too (they really are, anyway).

Here, we have Comair...no difference, really.

A step below all of that are companies such as Gulfstream that rent out pilot seats...because they can get away with it, and there's always some dipstick willing to prostitute himself for the grand honor of raising the landing gear in a Beech 1900.

JAA and FAA have nothing to do with it. Avarice, greed, and stupidity rule the pay to play arena, in a sickening display of improper self government. The FAA merely sets the practical test standards and provides ATC services to all, whereas JAA does just the same. The sponsors of the madness are the pinheads themselves who fork over their parents dollars to pay to do a job that the whoring airline should instead pay for...why is it more prevailant here than in Europe? There are more suckers willing to lay down their wad in exchange for a few hours of ink in a logbook and a damaged reputation to crown their sorry backside. Supply and demand, mate. Supply and demand.

Nice post avbug. Agree completely.

When you say we have Comair, it's actually become DCA now. Delta Connection Academy. Their program, while over rated and over priced, does at least produce a 1000 hour pilot with a CFI background. It's not ab initio.

Flight Safety Academy has a direct track program that works in conjunction with 4 regional airlines. ASA hires most of them and there is no hourly minimum. 250ish hours is a good guess.

Gulfstream really is a step below that buy "renting out" the F/O seat in a 121 pax operation. There is an active Gulfstream thread here you should post your comments at.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=73200&highlight=gulfstream

Last edited:
I would sign up for this program, and then start breakdancing in the admissions office.

drinkduff77 said:
For those of you that own Flying magazine, check the phone numbers at the bottom of the page of the ad and then turn a couple pages and check the phone numbers for the other full page ad. Same company.

-'duff

LOL, good man, your right.

If this is who I think it is running the program, Mr. HG, then it's definately a crock of poo. I worked at a flight school in ISM that tried to do a start up with this guy / these people. A LOT of unanswered questions, and many grey areas as to where they would actually put you in a job after doing this load of crap. No way in hell, especially after seeing how they threw this thing together in about 4 months.

Lets Call them!!!!

Someone should call or send an email to them and get info about their program!!! I’m interested to see how many tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars it will take to go their:laugh: . You should ask how many students they have and how many they have successfully placed with a 121 carrier. Someone should do this and share it with us. Or maybe we should all call them about the exact same time!!:nuts: That could be interesting.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back