• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Telex 750 with comfortable earplugs. With emphasis on comfortable. Not the basic foamies, but ones like these 3Ms.

http://wingodirect.com/product%20-%203M%201100.htm

IMO you need earplugs even on the 850, as the treble in the radio communications can be fatiguing over time. Earplugs filter that out.

This is the best comfort/value solution in my opinion. Plus, in a/c without an intercom you can easily move one earpad away from your head if you need to to hear the other guy better.

My ipod requirements are met elsewhere, however, otherwise I would at least consider the Bose solution above.

Just a word on the Costco roller bag. I was in there the other day and they have cheapened the construction on that bag. It may still be made by Pathfinder, but they have gone to plastic zipper tabs, more cheesy wheels, etc. They are marketing the new one as "20% lighter" but I prefer the construction on the old one. FYI.

I just got the new Lightspeed Mach1 and I'm pretty happy with it. Weighs less than an ounce, has a plug-in for an iPod, and blocks out pretty much any wind noise on even a noisy plane like the CRJ. It's pretty pricey though at about $499.

Plantronics MS200

I purchased the Plantronics MS200 from www.willflyforfood.cc/pilotstore.htm for $179 including free shipping and love it! Their price is about $20 less than anyone else and no charge for shipping. It is very light and compact. It looks similar to Bluetooth earpieces for cell phones. Wouldn't work very well for prop aircraft but works great on a jet flight deck and the price is right too.

Ez...

ezviper said:
Hooch said:
I have had both the Telex and this new Bose QC2 & Uflymike combo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LY2mMEigxyU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=018qc2s&wm=cl

www.UFlyMike.com

I can tell ya, ya can't beat the versitility of this Bose QCII rig. In the cockpit, great performance...In the hotel listening to the Ipod...Deadheading in the back, etc.

At around $300 for the headset and $195 for the boom mike, thats half of a Bose X, or Sennheiser, and IMHO, three times the usefulness.

As far as i know, the only place you can get the boom mike is from UFlyMike.com. First class construction and customer service!

The best place I have found to buy the headset portion is Crutchfield's. $299 and they throw in shipping (mine arrived the next day!) and a free CD player. As long as you have NOT ordered anything from them before, you can use the "Refer a friend" code below for $20 off

To save $20 with the Crutchfield order, you have to place the code below, in both the "Code" box and in the "comments" box. When you first "checkout", you won't see the $20 discount, but when the order is processed, it is taken off.

DISCLAIMER: No, I don't work for UFlyMike or Crutchfields, but for the first 10 folks who use the code, I supposedly get a $20 credit to my account.

Not trying to "sell some cars" here, just giving my opinion, and maybe save someone some $$ in the process.

Refer a Friend Code: pi3c5-b69px-p6a4a

Cheers & Merry Christmas,
Hooch

Hooch/All,
Just called Crutchfield to order the QC-II to take advantage of the $20 off and I was told that Bose doesn't honor the refer a friend discount. I'm still trying to decide if I want to fork over the $300 +$200 for the set-up that's not even approved by the FAA (so I hear.) I'm still 6 months out from training (waiting for retirement date) but was trying to start getting required items now a few at a time. I'm also looking at getting my luggage (PNT is a good way to go, as I understand) Any seasoned veterans have any words on luggage? Thanks
EZ

EZ,

Got this off of Mike's website:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Does the adapter require TSO certification?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]the FAA's TSO program with regard to headsets and microphones is for the purpose of establishing a standard, or benchmark for such equipment, but they have not mandated nor regulated the use of such equipment for Part 91, 135 or 121, or under Part 25 or Part 43 or any other FAR. The establishment of a process for certifying equipment does not require certification for use, but is only a demonstration of adherence to the established standard. We make a quality product but are unable to obtain TSO certifications because we do not manufacture the Bose headphones. [/FONT]

You may be thinking about our 11-202V3 requirement to have anything in the cockpit approved by ESC, but the FAA is different, as stated by this piece from the uflymike website.

I'm going with the QCII/uflymike setup.

TJ

ezviper,

Don't know what to tell ya about the refer a friend thing. I have had three guys use it so far. The only restriction I know of is you can not have ordered from them within the last year. Talked to "Mitchell" @ Crutchfield's and he reconfirmed.

Cheers
Hooch

Also at stopover stores in MSP/DTW/IAH. Good service, good accessory bags for long trips or winter coats, will last, but pricey. AKA purdy neat.

Hooch,
You were right, I ordered my QCII tonight with a smarter Crutchfield rep. Thanks for the info and the discount! Also, thanks to all of you that sent inputs on headsets and luggage. I'm slowly but surely getting smarter on these types of things and hopefully won't get taken to the cleaners as I transition careers. Thanks Again!
EZ

Latest resources

Back