Jet headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

commode Air

lost my earpiece mold recently. Was considering getting the telex 850 headset. Does anyone dislike this headset? Is it lightweight? any info would be appreciated

[FONT=Verdana, arial]I like my 850’s, the airplane I fly now isn’t that noisy but it sure makes a difference on long legs.
The down side is no one uses the hot mic so I have to leave one side off
[/FONT]

The 850 is great. Not a huge drop in noise level, but it's a small, comfortable headset and no battery to replace since it's powered by the aircraft. After 21 years of Navy planes and Carrier decks, I need all the help I can get...

If you want more noise reduction, look at the Sennheiser.

And buy it on Ebay. I saved about 75 bucks.

Happy Rama-hanu-quanz-Mas:D

Bose QC2 & Uflymike

I have had both the Telex and this new Bose QC2 & Uflymike combo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LY2mMEigxyU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=018qc2s&wm=cl

www.UFlyMike.com

I can tell ya, ya can't beat the versitility of this Bose QCII rig. In the cockpit, great performance...In the hotel listening to the Ipod...Deadheading in the back, etc.

At around $300 for the headset and $195 for the boom mike, thats half of a Bose X, or Sennheiser, and IMHO, three times the usefulness.

As far as i know, the only place you can get the boom mike is from UFlyMike.com. First class construction and customer service!

The best place I have found to buy the headset portion is Crutchfield's. $299 and they throw in shipping (mine arrived the next day!) and a free CD player. As long as you have NOT ordered anything from them before, you can use the "Refer a friend" code below for $20 off

To save $20 with the Crutchfield order, you have to place the code below, in both the "Code" box and in the "comments" box. When you first "checkout", you won't see the $20 discount, but when the order is processed, it is taken off.

DISCLAIMER: No, I don't work for UFlyMike or Crutchfields, but for the first 10 folks who use the code, I supposedly get a $20 credit to my account.

Not trying to "sell some cars" here, just giving my opinion, and maybe save someone some $$ in the process.

Refer a Friend Code: pi3c5-b69px-p6a4a

Cheers & Merry Christmas,
Hooch

I agree with the Bose QCII/UflyMike set up. Very versatile, use it for a trip then take the headset to the hotel and plug it into my ipod.
The only problem so far has been the "heartbeat" we keep getting through the headset from the flashing landing lights. It also takes some getting used to, when all that noise disappeared we both felt a bit disconnected from the airplane. Only used it on two legs so far and I'm hoping that it will just take some time to adjust to the silence.

I use the Telex 850 in the 727. The noise canceling only works in about half our fleet, depending on the impedence of the boom mic plug. I don't dislike the headset, but for my uses, it isn't anything I rave about the way I did when using the Bose X in the turboprops.

I've used the 850 for 18 months now. Works fine, no batteries, BUT, I've had to send it in twice now for repairs. The wires are very thin and must not be seated well in the cups, so the mike was cutting out. They were good about the repair turnaround, but for $400, I would have expected more. Like another said, it doesn't work on all a/c. On some (very few) planes it is worse than a headset without noise reduction due to a hum. For the price and size though, it is a good deal, not a great deal.

Hooch said:
I have had both the Telex and this new Bose QC2 & Uflymike combo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LY2mMEigxyU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=018qc2s&wm=cl

www.UFlyMike.com

I can tell ya, ya can't beat the versitility of this Bose QCII rig. In the cockpit, great performance...In the hotel listening to the Ipod...Deadheading in the back, etc.

At around $300 for the headset and $195 for the boom mike, thats half of a Bose X, or Sennheiser, and IMHO, three times the usefulness.

As far as i know, the only place you can get the boom mike is from UFlyMike.com. First class construction and customer service!

The best place I have found to buy the headset portion is Crutchfield's. $299 and they throw in shipping (mine arrived the next day!) and a free CD player. As long as you have NOT ordered anything from them before, you can use the "Refer a friend" code below for $20 off

To save $20 with the Crutchfield order, you have to place the code below, in both the "Code" box and in the "comments" box. When you first "checkout", you won't see the $20 discount, but when the order is processed, it is taken off.

DISCLAIMER: No, I don't work for UFlyMike or Crutchfields, but for the first 10 folks who use the code, I supposedly get a $20 credit to my account.

Not trying to "sell some cars" here, just giving my opinion, and maybe save someone some $$ in the process.

Refer a Friend Code: pi3c5-b69px-p6a4a

Cheers & Merry Christmas,
Hooch

Hooch/All,
Just called Crutchfield to order the QC-II to take advantage of the $20 off and I was told that Bose doesn't honor the refer a friend discount. I'm still trying to decide if I want to fork over the $300 +$200 for the set-up that's not even approved by the FAA (so I hear.) I'm still 6 months out from training (waiting for retirement date) but was trying to start getting required items now a few at a time. I'm also looking at getting my luggage (PNT is a good way to go, as I understand) Any seasoned veterans have any words on luggage? Thanks
EZ

Last edited:
ezviper said:
Hooch said:

Hooch/All,
Just called Crutchfield to order the QC-II to take advantage of the $20 off and I was told that Bose doesn't honor the refer a friend discount. I'm still trying to decide if I want to fork over the $300 +$200 for the set-up that's not even approved by the FAA (so I hear.) I'm still 6 months out from training (waiting for retirement date) but was trying to start getting required items now a few at a time. I'm also looking at getting my luggage (PNT is a good way to go, as I understand) Any seasoned veterans have any words on luggage? Thanks
EZ

The biggest downside to the Uflymike in my opinion is that when the battery dies the mike is unuseable. While I am sure everyone carries extra batteries, I simply don't like that it dies, every other soultion simply loses the ANR but keeps working. I use the Telex 850's in the 737's and it works great in all but 3 or 4 of the oldest -300's in the SWA fleet... for those I either bear with the increased noise or put an old ear piece type headset in. The FAA has not TSO'd Uflymike but has the 850's.

I think 80% of the folks use PNT bags, the stealth version FOR THE 737 (get the "737" version which is thinner and fits better in the cockpit, the website makes it clear which is which). The other guys use a $100 bag from Costco which is pretty sturdy and fits perfect and Costco has a lifetime warranty on it so when it breaks you can simply walk in and get a new one. Doesn't have the "cool" factor IMHO, but I suppose it is smart. Someone else will be able to tell you the model. The travelpro stuff I don't recommend because the cost is nearly that of the PNT bags but the quality has gone down recently and they don't last as long... might as well splurge or go with the Costco bag.

Latest resources

Back