jet freight operators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"v"

Are there many other operatoes out there apart from airnet that run cargo in light jets?

Would most of these ops be a ad hoc op or bank running. Ie. Long term contract with a set schedule?

Thanks all!

Royal air out of PTK, Sierra West Airlines out of ELP... Ameristar, Kalitta in YIP.. these are all on-demand auto parts haulers. Horrible schedule and lifestyle, but if it's your thing go for it

The schedule and lifestyle at Kalitta isn't bad IF you live in base:

2 weeks on, one week off.

If you commute, no, it sucks, 9 days off a month and the rest away from home leaves little room for a home life, but it's a job in a crappy environment and they've been pretty good to me, all things considered. YMMV

Thanks for all of the responses guys! Does anyone have any intel on pay at any of these companies???

The schedule and lifestyle at Kalitta isn't bad IF you live in base:

2 weeks on, one week off.

If you commute, no, it sucks, 9 days off a month and the rest away from home leaves little room for a home life, but it's a job in a crappy environment and they've been pretty good to me, all things considered. YMMV

lol yeah, they tell you in the interview it's not a commutable job and they sure hold you too it!

Interview? I didn't really have one of those, kinda got hired over the phone and just showed up in class... Of course, that was before the downturn, when they were just glad to have a shake-and-bake Captain they could throw into the fire. :)

I was pretty open to the fact that I'd be commuting for it. Can't move. For ANY job. Which is why I can't do Emirates or any of the other overseas gigs I'm qualified for. Unfortunately, right now, they can hold people to moving into the base they're hiring for and people will do it just to get back in the air again.

The pendulum will swing again; it always does. Until then, I have to say, Kalitta has been pretty good to me, all things considered. Flexible with things I needed time off for (shoulder surgery, AirTran grievance work), and employing me when no one else would. They demand a lot in return, but that's life.

Yeah, luckily I was already here, but then again, I like Michigan, a lot of people don't want to live here. I wouldn't move for any job either right now. It's tough but that's the Kalitta way, Connie never had it easy, nor was Doug handed the company. There are a lot worse places to be.

Pay isn't too bad, it used to be a lot worse(as well as time off if that's what you wanted to call it). As an FO I would say $35-45k depending on the luck of the draw with what trips you get, sometimes guys make more. Captains maybe $55-85k, also depending on what contract and airplane you fly. It's been slow so not too many guys making 6 figures anymore but we are closer to those days hopefully than a couple years ago.

I don't always agree with things that happen but you have to take the good with the bad otherwise you are gonna be all pissed off your entire career lol.

Latest resources

Back