Jet Blue on the West Coast?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

banger

Seems awhile ago I remember hearing that JB was going to open a west coast base in 2003. Does anybody have any info rumor or not on this topic? Thanks

Just asked the President/COO and Director of Ops that very question this afternoon in a pilots' meeting. There are no current plans for a west coast base. The worst possible thing would be to open and then close a crew base. They are waiting to see how the competitive situation settles out with all the failing airlines before making that kind of decision. I'm not expecting any news on this issue during 2003.

JetBlue Commute from Left Coast?

Can any JBLU folks comment on how hard is it to commute from SO. CAL or west coast as a junior?

Well,

I spend alot of time in the cockpit as a jumpseater. Some of it is my choice (I'd rather ride in the cockpit for 6 hours than be stuck in a middle row seat in row 27).

A few times the cockpit has had 2 jumpseaters.

The commute home is sometimes tough. Due to the winds, expected pax load, etc. and needed fuel, the flight might be weight capped to 150 pax (this week a few were capped at 140). That's when I head to the crew room to find the crew and make sure they know I'm trying to get home.

Junior has nothing to do with it. First come, first served.

Hope that helps, happy landings.

JBLU Commuting

Thanks--- by junior, I was thinking of schedule bid and how your monthly schedule is versus what you would like for it to be as a commuter (i.e., days on/off/on). --- thanks

People with difficult commutes typically bid and average 5 days on, 5 days off. Our preferential bidding system makes that pretty easy to get, even if you are junior. You just can't be too picky about what kind of trips you fly if the dates are the most important. As you gain seniority, it's not too difficult to get 4 days on, 6 days off. You can expect to fly pretty close to 29 hours in those 4 or 5 days on so you can get all your flying for the month in 3 cycles.

We have a couple of people with REALLY ugly commutes from as far away as Alaska. They bid trips with duty rigs and 24+ hr layovers that allow them to get 15-16 days of flying in a row and then home for 2 weeks. That way they can get the minimum block for pay without exceeding 30 in 7 limitations. If you live near Long Beach or Oakland, that will not necessary.

We have lots of people who commute from the West Coast. If you live near Long Beach, the commute will be long, but it won't be as painful as a two-leg off-line commute that many of us endure. The frequency of flights, including redeyes, gives you lots of options. Anybody who lives near a blue city will find the commuting life much easier than those of us who are in the Midwest and not close to anything blue.

JB Commuting

dgs-- thanks, very informative--- I live in San Diego, so Long Beach is close enough. Hope to see you around the company! --OTC

Tomcat,

When the time comes, there is an available group of first officers and captains that swap legs in order to reduce the commute from the west coast.

PM me and I'll send you the info you'll need to access in order to figure out how to set that up.

It works pretty well and schedulers usually go out of their way to make it happen.

I am flexible in where I'm willing to jump ship. Example, this next week, I'll get off the trip in SEA (commute back to LAS on my own) and the commuter from SEA picks up my leg to JFK.

The only caviat, is that you don't get paid for it. The pilot flying gets the pay. So we all try to help each other out when you pick something up, you try to drop to the same folks to help out their monthly time/pay.

Happy landings

Latest resources

Back