• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

32LT10

Just read on our UAALPA forum about one of our pilots that was bumped from a B6 flight for a commuting flight attendant to sit in the cockpit. What gives? Is this really your policy? He was flying FLL- JFK, or should I say attempting to fly.

32LT10 said:
Just read on our UAALPA forum about one of our pilots that was bumped from a B6 flight for a commuting flight attendant to sit in the cockpit. What gives? Is this really your policy? He was flying FLL- JFK, or should I say attempting to fly.

Shouldn't have happened. How recent? We received guidance a while back (probably after a couple of knuckleheads bumped CASS folks for FAs) that CASS has priority over our FA 'observation' riders. I'm too lazy to look it up but I belive said priority is now delineated in our FOM.

Or, it could've been one of the '10%'-ers. Since most of us commute, we'd NEVER let an FA bump a pilot (except the FAs have priority for THEIR JS's in back). Either way, sorry.

32LT10 said:
No way should a CASS jumpseater be bumped from the cockpit by a JB FA. JB's guidance is unambiguous on this point.
If this in fact did happen, the UA JS coordinator needs to contact the JB coordinator so that the offending Capt may be "educated".
In addition, I offer my sincere apology.

Last edited:
JBPA said:
Shouldn't have happened. How recent? We received guidance a while back (probably after a couple of knuckleheads bumped CASS folks for FAs) that CASS has priority over our FA 'observation' riders. I'm too lazy to look it up but I belive said priority is now delineated in our FOM.

Or, it could've been one of the '10%'-ers. Since most of us commute, we'd NEVER let an FA bump a pilot (except the FAs have priority for THEIR JS's in back). Either way, sorry.

The person who was bumped, (if this really happened, I might add) should contact our Jumpseat person with the flight number and date. He can then follow up on this and find out what happened.

To be very honest with you, we are growing so fast that there may be Captains out there who are not exactly clear on the Jumpseat policy. We're spending enough brain cells calculating International Alternate wx requirements, etc.

But, this is no excuse. IF this did indeed occur, it must be corrected. My guess is they there may be more to the story. There usually is.

Hold your breath, if this started off from 32LT10, it may not even be worth addressing. We have one of the most open policies for jumpseating that even if this case was true, it is extremely isolated. I flew a flight from IAD-FLL a few weeks ago and had 8 UAL employees on going home. Just remember, the jumpseat is a priviledge not a right-- they're still my seats in the cockpit, and I'll offer it up 99.9% of the time when conditions warrant it-- just not to 32LT10...

32LT10,

If you want to find out the truth then PM any of us the specific flight and date and we'll find out what happened.

If you are just trying to stir the pot then we won't expect anything from you.

The post on the UAL-ALPA board doesn't say it was the cockpit jumpseat anyway. Could of been one of the cabin jumpseats.

Why is it that the bumped pilot never posts. Everyone has heard the same story. I heard that someone, who I don't know. If fact I don't even know his name, was wronged by this or that airline............

The pilot did not give the flight specifics, just he was going from FLL to JFK and was bumped from the JUMPSEAT for an F/A. When it comes to cabin seats it is obvious that an EMPLOYEE would ride those seats before and offline jumpseater! I am sure the pilot in question will be in touch with our coordinator and hopefully this can be resolved. It is disappointing that this has to turn into a slug fest. I was curious about the policy and am sure the proper channels will be followed. However, if that was you that was left for a flight attendant you think you might be steamed around the collar?

If it was one of the cabin jumpseat, thats a whole other story. A JB FA has priority in the back over an offline oal jumpseater. If the last seat in the back was the FA jumpseat itself, then even an offline oal fa has priority for the cabin fa jumpseat over a oal pilot. If I am mistaken guys please let me know....I am wrong at times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back