• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet Blue interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a job. A good job. I would like to work for JB but am concerned about a few things - one being the $$$ losses. Again, I would love to work there but I am not willing to risk my livelyhood and families financial security to do so.

I don't want to come off as ill informed. I have done my research in the company, like what I have found, but would like input from others in the know ( JB employees and others) about the losses. Again, just trying to make an informed decision.

If you have done your research, then you know that there have been no losses---yet. Yes it is probably coming, but it is a very tough time for the entire industry. The company has a very good plan, and I myself am very glad to be here. IF you are not 100% sure you want to be here, please do not waste our time and money to interview you. FWIW....

Inspector 12 "I have a job. A good job. I would like to work for JB but am concerned about a few things - one being the $$$ losses. Again, I would love to work there but I am not willing to risk my livelyhood and families financial security to do so."

Just about any pax carrier you go to today is a risk. If you are not willing to take a risk and leave the "good job" I HIGHLY recommend you stay there. Not a Flame just some advice.

Inspector 12 said:
Wow - "If you are questioning the level of confidence you have in us, perhaps you might consider another option."

Not really the response I was looking for. Especially from a JB employee. I do not want to blindly walk into a new company just to fly for the airlines - your airline. I would like to make an educated - informed decision. I would like to place all cards on the table and make a decision... If I am offered the opportunity to make that decision.

I have a job. A good job. I would like to work for JB but am concerned about a few things - one being the $$$ losses. Again, I would love to work there but I am not willing to risk my livelyhood and families financial security to do so.

I don't want to come off as ill informed. I have done my research in the company, like what I have found, but would like input from others in the know ( JB employees and others) about the losses. Again, just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks again for the input.

I think you need to do a little more research on the subject so that you can discuss the $$$ losses again with yourself. I just want you to have the correct information before you go making any decisions. Not trying to be boastful here, but we are yet to have a losing quarter. Yet. BTW, your job can't be that good if you are considering making a move. Consider that this is coming from just one pilot, but this is a great place to work. Better than the last four I worked for, FYI.

Inspector 12 said:
I am not trying to start a JB bashfest.

I am just curious what the masses think about JB starting to post losses. I have an upcoming interview with them and I'm still on the fence as far as what to do if given the job offer. The main reason why I'm onthe fence is that I have a fairly stable job and I'm just uneasy about going to the bottom of the list.

I would love to be able to go to the interview with a clear mind.

I would not recommend entering the passenger airline business if you are worried about B6 posting losses! Stick to whatevr you are doing now...or go fly freight...or don't fly...it will ALWAYS be a risk vs reward career if you make a living flying. Remember you have to pass a medical every six months! Without it...you are without a career...not just a company posting losses!!!

Go to work for Jetblue!! I have friends there who are happy. They are a good company.. On a side note though, I do think Neeleman got a little cocky when he said " Jetblue will be profitable even if oil hits $80/barrel".. lol!! All those dinks in China that were riding bicycles now will be driving cars!! Increased world demand for oil will hurt all the airlines!!

As stated before... we have not posted a loss, yet. We were suppossed to post a loss in the 3Q but didn't. It was close. The 4Q results have two things going against the possibility of a profit... outstanding fuel prices and the write off of a ton of options to get around the new laws for companies to follow concerning options. Song just threw in the towel, a sign that many have been speculating for a long time that Song was not making money. That shows that while B6 has been able to eek out a profit our biggest competitor was not even close. Take this in conjunction w/ extreme growth and many large capital projects during the worse economic times for the airlines, ever. B6 has been able to post profits. So we may not for a few quarters and like some before me said, we are not out of the woods yet. But the woods we walk in I think are not nearly as treacherous as the woods of the other airlines. Any move you take is a chance. But if you never take a chance you will live a life of regrets... B6 is an outstanding chance!

tail

Last edited:
usav8r said:
IF you are not 100% sure you want to be here, please do not waste our time and money to interview you. FWIW....

I understand where you’re coming from with this, but I really disagree. I say go to the interview. In fact, I’d be really disappointed if anyone thought they were 100% sure going in. JetBlue doesn’t want to hire lemmings that blindly believe. They want you to buy into the culture and make the decision based on experience. There’s a great amount of unknown in starting any job, but the interview process will give you insight into what JetBlue believes and how they treat their people. David Neeleman summed it up for me when he spoke to our new hire group. He said that he knows it’s difficult to get hired at JetBlue, but he wants the company to treat you like they had to beg you to come work for them. Pessimism is a healthy. Give us a chance, I think you’ll be glad you did.

As far as loosing money in future quarters; I’m just a regular pilot--who knows? However, I’m optimistic and happy to be onboard. Good luck.

Ask Dave...

Inspector 12 said:
I am just curious what the masses think about JB starting to post losses. I have an upcoming interview with them and I'm still on the fence as far as what to do if given the job offer. The main reason why I'm onthe fence is that I have a fairly stable job and I'm just uneasy about going to the bottom of the list
Just ask Dave Barger or Al Spain at the interview, They'll be more than happy to discuss the business plan and put you mind at ease. That's the great thing about JB, you can pose hard Qs to the leadership team and you'll get immediate, straight answers...

good luck

Word of Advice:

This is the Airline Industry. Find a mean, other than your airline, to support your retirement. Also know that u could be out of a job, at a blink of an eye. HAVE A BACKUP.

Knowing these two things. Enjoy your FLYING JOB. Go FLY for who u want to. Go interview with JB. Take the job and if things go bad and u r going to lose your job (i doubt this will happen). Well you have a backup, and on to your next airline or job, U go.

Good luck,

Cya

Inspector 12 said:
Wow - "If you are questioning the level of confidence you have in us, perhaps you might consider another option."

Not really the response I was looking for. Especially from a JB employee. I do not want to blindly walk into a new company just to fly for the airlines - your airline. I would like to make an educated - informed decision. I would like to place all cards on the table and make a decision... If I am offered the opportunity to make that decision.

Thanks again for the input.

Inspector,

Don't let a single or even a few quarters of losses or profits for that matter, affect your decision. Look beyond that. "Is the mgmt acting with vision?", "Are the current losses a result of bad mgmt or external forces?", "Is the airline sitting there scratching their heads figuring out what to do, or are they actually getting things done?"

My advice is that it is worth the risk right now, but that's just my opinion. If you want to get into the airline fray right now JB is not a bad place to be. I would also consider SWA if I were you. Their fuel hedges won't be an advantage forever, but it certainly is now.

DW

Latest resources

Back