Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Schedule Questions

Jaydub and Jeff G.
I am hopefully going the JB way. I wasn't looking forward to retirement and leaving the Air Force Flying until I learned more about JB. I was never one to the minimum amount of work and have always looked for a way to do things better and more efficeintly. Hopefully I'll fit the JB type guy. But here is my question, on your monthly bid, do all of the trips start and stop at there HUB/HUBs; ie can you commute out of the west coast and fly west coast trips or east coast for east coast trips. I live in San Antonio and would like to stay here. If hired should I plan on commuting to and from JFK for all of my trips? Or can you bid to start and/or stop a trip at one of there other destinations. I also heard they might be providing service to either SAT or AUS soon, have you heard anything about it?
Thanks, Hope to see you in the sky by the spring
Lifter

I think "Mailman" is grumpy because the poor slob hasn't slept in weeks. Granted, there's no better freight company to work for, but God I hate those hours. (US Check for a year, way back)

You never get used to flying nights, you only get used to feeling like crap! I'll take a day-job anyday!!!

I just saw an "aviation computer model" that projected that in 20 years, the three largest and dominating airlines are gonna be in order: Southwest, JetBlue and American!

CHeers all!

If hired should I plan on commuting to and from JFK for all of my trips? Or can you bid to start and/or stop a trip at one of there other destinations. I also heard they might be providing service to either SAT or AUS soon, have you heard anything about it?

Lifter-

While not as debonair as JayDub, or as good looking as JeffG, I can answer a few of your questions. If hired by JB:

Yes, you should plan on commuting to JFK for your trips. We have a Ft Lauderdale base, and it is relatively junior for FOs, so you could conceivably commute there as well, but FLL is a very senior Captain base, so you wouldn't be able to stay there when you upgrade.

BTW, the commute into LGA rather than JFK is not a big deal--just leave a little time for the Van Wick shuffle (the highway is actually a parking lot with fast exits I think...).

You normally cannot start a trip at one of the other destinations unless you work a jetway trade with someone else, a time consuming project to say the least. In any case, it requires approval from crew services (scheduing) to happen.

As far as new cities, like Sgt Schultz--"I know nothing, I know nothing!" The company is amazingly open with all commication, but as for the topic of new cities, well...that is one topic that is close hold. I do not know of any new plans for cities, but then again, I knew nothing of the Las Vegas opening one night prior to it's announcement. That's how tight the rumor control is.

Best of luck--let us know if you have any other questions. And send the hard ones to JayDub...

Aviation computer model you say?????

Tailwheel said,

"I just saw an "aviation computer model" that projected that in 20 years, the three largest and dominating airlines are gonna be in order: Southwest, JetBlue and American!"

"aviation computer model" - I can't stop laughing, I just can't.

Is this something they have at Embry Riddle? I know its the same computer (former) Sen. McNamara used to pick targets in Viet Nam. No better yet it was reported by some blond b1tch on CNN with a useless degree in journalism and doesn't know the front of an airplane from the back.

Lifter,

Well, like Eagleflip "I know nothing" either. We used to get quite a lot of info as a whole. However, due to the company now being traded publicly, there is concern as to how much, when and what is told to the employees.

Austin and San Antonio have been thrown in the mix as long term destinations since I was hired at JB. Chicago always seemed like a pipe dream since UAL owns the town. But with the advent of airline changes, our plans have multiple B, C, D options (i.e. Las Vegas).

While in LGB 2 days ago, my crew was emphatically told by our maintenance guys that we're now opening a maintenance facility in IAD and yes, Chicago. They seemed to be certain we were getting 4 gates in Chicago as well and it will be our next focus city.

So again, rumors run rampant (now that this is 5th hand gossip). We as the employee groups usually get e-mail from David and Dave about a week before they put out something in the press. But the mechanics always seem to have the new stuff before the rest of the group. I don't know why that is regardless of where I work but it holds true.

Re: Aviation computer model you say?????

LearLove said:
Tailwheel said,

"I just saw an "aviation computer model" that projected that in 20 years, the three largest and dominating airlines are gonna be in order: Southwest, JetBlue and American!"

"aviation computer model" - I can't stop laughing, I just can't.

Is this something they have at Embry Riddle? I know its the same computer (former) Sen. McNamara used to pick targets in Viet Nam. No better yet it was reported by some blond b1tch on CNN with a useless degree in journalism and doesn't know the front of an airplane from the back.

I bet no one is laughing in 20 years. Well, maybe the SWA and JB guys will! ;) :D

McNamara

Talk about CNN blondes, McNamara was Sec Def, never a Senator

I know the "aviation computer model" sounds silly and I'm sure I've screwed up the name, but I was trying to regurgitate what I heard from a JetBlue guy yesterday.

Glad to give you a laugh!!!

My prediction: Jet Blue will continue to grow and do well. Why would I say that? Because I have experienced its "product" first-hand as a passenger and now I will do anything I can to fly Jet Blue in the future. As a passenger, its product is excellent (leather seats, nice 24-channel live TV) and its price tends to be very low - excellent value-for-money. Why would I pay an additional $400 for the same route (or a stop) and crappy "food?" That's pretty expensive extra "food." Jet Blue's product is the best economy product I have ever experienced...

Yes, I have heard the arguments related to upcoming maintenance costs and possible future unionization (most likely), but by then Jet Blue's customer base will be significant and its brand very well known. Its load factors are ALREADY stratospheric - every flight I have flown on was packed to the gills - and yet they were still comfortable...

Any pilot who has the chance to fly for Jet Blue should do so - it's a growing company with quick ugrade times - plus you get to fly those nifty A320s - I love those side-sticks!!!!! Not a bad "office" environment to work in - very comfortable.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back