• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wndshr said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furloughed dude
Might as well keep the fares at $25 since they are paying their pilots like a cheap street who###s...

Well said!

yup...they are low! you wanna hear the real irony? unless you want to find another job outside the industry...you might just be dressing up in a suit one day and interviewing to fly a 190 at those rates!

Now that is IRONY! LOL

Well, how often do you see JetBlue pilots comment on the pay decreases at NWA, DAL, AMR, UAL, etc. I'll make a small comparison. Post 9/11, we've seen no pay decreases and no furloughs at JetBlue.

I agree the E190 rate is low. But what should management do? Give industry leading pay and hope the E190 model works well? Or go conservative with lower rates and wait to see if the E190 numbers are good? I think you'll see pay increases in less than a year once the E190 is a proven money maker. Look at our history. Four years ago, Captains were making $80/hour in the A320. We had a 30% pay increase in OCT 2001 which brought that up to $118/hour.

Right now, I make $118/hour as a Captain on the A320. After 70 hours, that pay is time + 1/2 at $177/hour. Most Captains can earn between $10-15K/month depending on how much you prefer to fly. Since I fly a lot, I'm making about 165K this year and will time out the first week of December (1000 hours in 12 months FAA) for a well needed rest. Add to that PTO (personal time off) pay at 9 hours/month. These hours are banked, but may be used for time off, sick time, or 25% of the bank can be cashed out at the end of the year. That's another 108 hours of pay (an entire month's extra) you probably haven't considered.

Remember to compare apples to apples. For example, you can't compare our Captain's pay here with NWA's Captains on the A320. First of all, our most senior pilot has 5 years here. There are no 5 year NWA A320 Captains. So sure, a NWA Captain makes more than a JetBlue Captain. But, the NWA Captain probably has at least 12 years seniority there to be on a bus. When E190 training stabilizes in a year, FO's here can upgrade to CAPT on the E190 in less than one year. Sure, you'll say those Captain rates are low compared to a NWA DC-9 Captain. Again, how many 1 year Captains are there at NWA on the DC-9?

Our 3% 401K matching could be better, but at least we have something. You can also purchase stock (up to 10% of your pay) in a 6 month period at a 15% discount. Most people cash out this stock as soon as it's bought and take the easy 15% gain. Profit sharing which had been as high as 17% will decrease due to less profits this year. This money is automatically put into your 401K at the end of the year.

So there you have it. My 165K this year won't buy me a nice boat, car, plane or a vacation home...but it'll do for now. Sure's better than my NWA furlough pay of $0.00.

Why do you guys continue to get baited into the pay thing? Does it really matter if anyone knows what we make? Let people stay misinformed, and disgruntled...who cares?

I have to agree with IB6 on this one,why bother? I was truly thinking after 800's post, considering no one took the bait, that the thread would die, however silly his comment, but such was not the case.

The jetblue pilots can talk untill we are blue in the face, no pun intended, but all it will do, is leave us out of breath. The issues we all face, will not be solved here, the issues we may have with the company is better solved internally.

People such as TonyC and the General are more than likely great guys, however, they are not privy to internal company issues or solutions, just like I know little about the issues facing FDX or DAL employees. Certainly, they are entitled to their opinion and to comment, we may even learn a few things along the way, but do not be goaded into silly arguments, which are merely meant to be flamebait.

Last edited:
Why do we care what anyone thinks about anything? Why do a few chosen soldiers take it upon themselves to defend the honor of Jetblue?

Pride in the company we are employed by, is what I would imagine!

...and yet we make a concious decision to ignore huge inequities within our own organization and we stride forward with the very same in-groups that drove us all to unionism at our last airlines.

Latest resources

Back