Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jet aircraft: Trouble in Icing- What can you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HawkerF/O said:
If that is the # you got, the you got some bad information. I assure you that it is -40C SAT.
Checked my FSI manual...the -30 is OAT, so reading it off the gage makes SAT colder than -40. You're right.

What's your point? If you can't do it, you can't do it. I never said this method was a guarentee, but it is pretty close. Most of the time it will work for you if you have the power and speed. And if I recall, a Falcon 20F gets pretty close to 400KIAS all the way down. If it is not 400, it's within 10 Knots.
Just making sure that we're not implying all aircraft are capable of this.

Fly safe!

David

I mis-spoke. The 747 doesnt have wing anti-ice with the leading edge devices extended.

HawkerF/O said:
In response to the silly and senseless ridicule this guy got (http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=71599) for actually using this forum for something meaningful and educational, I thought I would follow his lead and do the same. If you don't like it, tough $hit!

1) So, you are stuck down at 6,000ft 40 miles from your intended airport of landing, picking up moderate icing at a pretty good rate and needing to land. No VMC within the range of your fuel or warmer WX to climb into, so you are going to have to fly around in the ice. Well, your wing anti-ice (Bleed Air) just signed off on both engines. It's gone for good. For whatever reason, a freak of nature failed the valves shut. How can you heat up those wings enough to keep the ice off? Be specific about what you can use, and how to use it to determine that you are not picking up any ice and shedding whatever ice you had on your wings. (Clue: In doing this, you'll shed ice from the entire airframe, not just the wings)

2) You are at altitude (FL390) and still in the clouds. All of your Anti-ice works just fine, but you don't want to use it so you can keep your speed up. At what point (what determines or what conditions(s) must be present) for you to know that is ok to leave the Anti-Ice off and by doing so you will not pick up any ice. In other words, what condition must be present in order for you leave the ice off? Remember, you are in the clouds (visible moisture) and since you are higher than FL240 it's well below freezing.

Both of these questions are actually pretty simple, you just have to think about them a little bit. Some of you guys probably know the answer, so it might be good to let a couple of guys that don't know take a stab at it. Good luck guys.................

If you would have pretreated your a/c with type IV, both of the above problems would have been avoided. Just ask your nearest Pinnacle pilot, they do it all the time!

HawkerF/O said:
Easy there. Yes, he is correct, but don't tell him that. You know, that Ego thing.

thanks teacher! gald to hear Im correct!

you gonna post the next "stupid scenario of the day so I can show my half-assed aviation knowledge" post soon?

Maybe the mods can create a specific forum for these?

Who's trying to satisy an ego here? Im not the one grading the kiddies answers..

;)

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
thanks teacher! gald to hear Im correct!
Good attitude. I'm not your teacher; Daddy maybe, teacher, NO.

Gulfstream 200 said:
you gonna post the next "stupid scenario of the day so I can show my half-assed aviation knowledge" post soon?
You didn't show your av knowledge this time. You simply corrected a guy who got a word wrong, but I don't remember seeing your input at all on the technical merits of the scenario; Oh, that's right, you were critical of others instead of just moving on to something else. My bad.

Gulfstream 200 said:
Maybe the mods can create a specific forum for these?

Who's trying to satisy an ego here? Im not the one grading the kiddies answers..
If that's how you see it, then that tells me all I need to know about you.

Latest resources

Back