• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB pilots say no to alpa/Barely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why outsource when you could bring the equipment on property and make up your own rates for it? Capacity Purchase Agreements are messy and a waste of time/money

Jetblue is code sharing with every available carrier which in essence is outsourcing. If it is international Jetblue will allow other carriers to do the flying.

Jetblue is code sharing with every available carrier which in essence is outsourcing. If it is international Jetblue will allow other carriers to do the flying.

The jetblue code doesnt appear on any other airline flights, but I understand your point. We dont have the equipment, or the network to support real international ops yet. Someday this will happen, and even then it is smart to have strategic codeshares with other carriers.

My original post was in reference to smaller gauge equipment for domestic ops. I was wondering what the benefit would be to outsource smaller a/c if we could fly them ourselves and the company could just dictate the payrates. From a business point of view it would seem a lot more messy to contract another carrier.

Messy, but cheaper. Thats why everyone does it. Or like SWA doesn't do it at all.

DAL, US, AA, UAL are the major player in regional outsourcing. Mainly because the mainline labor groups have traded away that flying in exchange for inflated benefits/pensions (which were taken in BK anyways). If we keep comparing ourselves to those carriers in terms of pay/benefits then we will have to go down that same road they have in terms of contract flying.

Like you said, SWA doesnt do it, and they have been a model for airlines to follow throughout the world. I really admire what they have done with their business and labor relations. Instead of contracting out flying to keep costs low, they have relied on a lean management structure, uber-productive frontline employees, and a slow but methodical growth plan. Will that happen here at JB? Probably not to the same level of success as SWA, but I think in some form or fashion we will follow in those footsteps. We are poised to grow internationally (S. America, Europe) much better than SWA, and I think that should be the focus going forward.

Jetblue pilots PEA allows for up to 10% asm's for a regional, more than almost any other carrier. (On a side note this was never negotiated but rather imposed since Jetblue pilots cannot negotiate.) Having a regional do short haul flying is cheaper than bringing on the aircraft to do it ourselves. It's only a matter of time. International demand is there, the bookings have shown that but, again, it's cheaper to use alliances and ultimately codeshare.

DAL, US, AA, UAL are the major player in regional outsourcing. Mainly because the mainline labor groups have traded away that flying in exchange for inflated benefits/pensions (which were taken in BK anyways). If we keep comparing ourselves to those carriers in terms of pay/benefits then we will have to go down that same road they have in terms of contract flying.

Like you said, SWA doesnt do it, and they have been a model for airlines to follow throughout the world. I really admire what they have done with their business and labor relations. Instead of contracting out flying to keep costs low, they have relied on a lean management structure, uber-productive frontline employees, and a slow but methodical growth plan. Will that happen here at JB? Probably not to the same level of success as SWA, but I think in some form or fashion we will follow in those footsteps. We are poised to grow internationally (S. America, Europe) much better than SWA, and I think that should be the focus going forward.

We are not SWA, we have never been SWA and we will never be like SWA. Most importantly we do not have SWA style management. For those of us who have been here many, many years we were told 2 key points. First, our pay and benefits would be SWA +/- 2% and, second, we would never code share with American Airlines. Look at where we are today.

To date SWA has not desired the international market and therefore code sharing was not a priority. As of late SWA has realized an untapped market and now is gradually pursuing these markets. The difference between them and Jetblue is they will do it themselves. Also keep in mind they have a union and will have to negotiate international code share. Jetblue, again, can and will impose any code share relationship it wants.

The best Jetblue pilots can hope for is to continue growth on a domestic market. Any international flying will not go to Jetblue but rather a code share. If foreign ownership is approved...god help us.

.How do you propose we secure (and protect) our careers without representation and a CBA?
When has a union done that at an airline going BK or out of business? BTW Airline and secure career in the same sentence? Isn't that an oxymoran?

Latest resources

Back