• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lakeviewa

Jointops

Jointops:

I hate to destroy your Utopian illusion. I personally know two individuals who interviewed in the last three months. They both have 1/2 the time that dozens of others I know have (IN EVERY CATEGORY!!!) They do have one thing in common- they knew someone very high up. Guess what- when they got to the interview, the others also knew someone very high up. I hate to shatter your illusion but the selection process is anything but "by the numbers". That is Dean's perogative, but let's call a spade a spade

Lakeviewa,

I always pride myself using this board for my own enlightenment and trying to help others who have a genuine interest in the facts of the JB experience as a potentail employer.

That being written, I'm not going to claim ignorance of a utopian illusion. Especially since I'm an interviewer for the company.

So to address the common thread of "You've got to know someone to get an interview". My answer is this, if you know David or Dave then you are probably a shoe in for an interview only. But they have to go through the interview just like everyone else. That's where we make the difference. We filter people out because their personalities are not what we consider a "company fit.".

However, most people on this board are trying to use "buddies" they know to get an interview. I'm here to tell you it doesn't work that way. Our interview process is the most sanitized it can possibly be.

Now if you have some specifics you would like to address of who the candidate was and who specifically they told you they knew, then send me a PM.

If you were at this particular interview, all the better. You can shed the light for everyone on this board as to how many "others" claimed to know someone and who they think they knew that got them the interview.

I'm not concerned about anonymity. So if there are specifics I can possibly address then by all means, let's get the correct info out there.

There are 6000 apps in the queue right now. So I'm trying to do my best to help Dean get the correct info out into the system. There's no utopia, but it sure beats US Airways.

I know your post isn't flame bait. My only goal with this response is to increase the dialogue with genuine intent. I just want to ensure that any conversations I'm involved in stay that way.

Happy landings

JetBlue preferential interviews

I've posted this before, but if it helps, I'll repeat it here:

I know none of the "higher ups" at 'Blue, and only know a handful of "newhires", certainly not the most influential bunch there. Had my online application in since August of last year, have updated monthly since, and you only need to glance to the left to see my qualifications. With no "ins", and not even knowing David and Dave, I'll be interviewing June 25th. Does that mean having an "in" helps? Probably couldn't hurt, but I can't say for sure. All I know is 'Tops is right. Keep updating and have patience, there's no "gunman behind the grassy knoll" with this process, certainly not in my case. And I can't wait for the 25th!

Good luck, and keep updating.

DL

Fact: I knew nobody at Jetblue, got an interview (2 times, first time I didn't meet the mins), got a job. I also know of two people who know people very high in the company who did get interviews, but did not get hired. Knowing someone is not a silver bullet.

B190Captain,

Well, I can't possibly say no. There's is always an outside chance.
However, we have 6000 apps on file and the qualified are becomingly increasingly so with all the "senior furloughees" out there.

We have guys in training now who are in their mid 50s with 30 years of flying already. Of course, the positive side to this is that JB is willing to take a chance on these folks that even if recalled, they won't go anywhere. Plus, the experience level is phenomenal and you can't ignore that in an interview.

Happy landings

Jointops,

It is understandable that there are pilots with that experience level but why focus on hirinig a 55 year old pilot that can only give JB a 5 year return on your investment when you can have a 30-35 year old experienced pilot that can be there for the next 25-30 years?

I can guarantee that a percentage of those prospective so-called senior aviators out there that have been furloughed wouldn't have given a rat's @$$ about JB if 9/11 never happened.

I tried to apply at JB and all I got was phone call telling me that I was 2880 lbs short for a chance to interview. This was pre-9/11, when JB was making baby steps.

I am not implying to ignore the vast amounts of experience out there looking for employment but what is a few slots given to younger guys that can dedicate the rest of their careers and grow with JB?

Thanks for the info!

Fly Safe!

Last edited:
B1900,
JB has changed/lowered their requirements in the past. I believe they started out requiring somewhere around 6000 TT, A320 type rating and 3000 hours A320 time or something like that. I feel your pain, but rather than worry about JB changing to fit you, maybe do anything possible to fit what they want, i.e. got to SIC but in a bigger turbine, if possible. I realize that in today's market it might be easier said than done, but rationalizing about how you are young and only 2880 lbs short isn't going to magically make you meet their minimums. Either they will change their minimums or you'll get the 1000 hours in > 20K planes or not. Actually, it looks like the 1000 hours in airplanes > 20k doesn't even have to be turbine, not that too many recips are flying around that heavy.
Different companies require different things. For whatever reason JB and Fedex have a 20k requirement, Fedex's is a little more stringent since it is PIC in a fixed wing turbine or multi-engine recip over 20k GW.
I guess my point is, that is what they want and since it is their game, I'd do what you need to to get it (within acceptable/legal bounds, of course) Maybe they'll lower it to 15k MGW when they start hiring to staff the EMB190s, then you'd be in like Flynn.
Good luck either way.

firstthird said:
B1900,
JB has changed/lowered their requirements in the past. I believe they started out requiring somewhere around 6000 TT, A320 type rating and 3000 hours A320 time or something like that. I feel your pain, but rather than worry about JB changing to fit you, maybe do anything possible to fit what they want, i.e. got to SIC but in a bigger turbine, if possible. I realize that in today's market it might be easier said than done, but rationalizing about how you are young and only 2880 lbs short isn't going to magically make you meet their minimums. Either they will change their minimums or you'll get the 1000 hours in > 20K planes or not. Actually, it looks like the 1000 hours in airplanes > 20k doesn't even have to be turbine, not that too many recips are flying around that heavy.
Different companies require different things. For whatever reason JB and Fedex have a 20k requirement, Fedex's is a little more stringent since it is PIC in a fixed wing turbine or multi-engine recip over 20k GW.
I guess my point is, that is what they want and since it is their game, I'd do what you need to to get it (within acceptable/legal bounds, of course) Maybe they'll lower it to 15k MGW when they start hiring to staff the EMB190s, then you'd be in like Flynn.
Good luck either way.

Thanks brotha,

But you are right, it is easier said than done. For me moving to a regional that flies acft 20K+ and better yet have jet engines, I would have to sell my house, wife and kids to be able to take the hit to be paid 20/hr to fly it.

So I guess maybe they will lower it to 15K for the 190's. I hope so.

Fly Safe!!

:D

20K GWT

B190,

Is there a Guard or Reserve unit that flies heavies close to you?

Jetblue interview?????

Hello Jointops........

I to am anxiously waiting for a interview at JB. However after 21 months in the JB computer system, I still have never been called in. I have also talked with Dean M. on three seperate occassions at Airinc seminars in DFW and ATL and still no call.

For the record, I have 14, 000 total time, with 8200 hours in 4-engine heavy jet (DC-8) and 5000 hours in heavy jet PIC. I have a Embry-Riddle 4 year degree and a excellent training background, with no aircraft ground school, sim training or upgrade training failures or problems. No accidents, incidents or FAR violations.

Non smoker, non-drinker and current FAA 1st class medical.

I can provide recommendations from several (5) JB pilots who can attest to my ability.

I can do the job.......just interview and hire me!!!!!

Thanks and please have a safe and fun summer.

9drvr
email [email protected]

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back