• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB Candidates in phase II

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry if I am late to this conversation, but why would there be open A320 slots for newhires? Is it due to a specfic base location? I thought all of the very junior E190 pilots wanted to bid the Airbus? What's with the vacancies on the Bus?

Outside looking in since I'm not employed there (fingers crossed, though), but it's possible they had Airbus FOs bid 190 CA, and the 190 FOs that bid CA couldn't hold it. The FOs leaving the bus for the 190 CA seats could leave 320 FO vacancies open. I could see a 190 FO, even junior, staying on the 190 rather than bidding over to the bus if they were gonna hold a line faster or didn't want to go to another base.

I bid the A320 FO BOS but did not get it. I would have it if I bid JFK. All new hires for the 320 (30) will be in JFK. The other 49 New Hires E190 will be in BOS (22) and JFK (27). No MCO, FLL, or LGB new hires.

Yep, after 3.5 years I'm going to the dark side. Tray table here I come! Embraer CA went significantly senior to Airbus CA, including a top-100 guy downbidding. Interesting times...

Hope you don't mind being Jr. I'm a 3 yr Bus FO and am on RSV in SEPT. I'm sure you have your reasons but i don't understand why anyone with 3ish yrs would leave the 190 for the bus. If it wasn't for the 5 weeks in training (away from my little kids) I would have bid the 190 and still might. I'm getting tired of working every weekend and doing 5 day trips filled with redeyes and day sleeps.

Per the Fsm, we are having another system bid first week of sept. How can they assign new hire classes in aircraft until the results of the next bid?

Been on the bus for the last 3 years, haven't moved one number even with this last bid, probably going to hop over to jetblue express as soon as I can.....quality of life

I assume your not in Jfk as everyone in JFK will be moving up 30 spots with the new hires coming

If someone got the bus, how long do you think until they could hold BOS?

I don't think you would have to wait very long. In this last bid the junior guy bidding from the 190 to BOS 320 was pretty junior (bottom 200). The same thing for the junior guy in the 320 switching from JFK to BOS (bottom 200). That means everybody in the top 90% that wanted BOS already bid it. Obviously some of them won't bid it until they can hold a line, but in most cases folks will make their base a priority over whether or not they can hold a line. That is particularly true at the lower end of the seniority list. Not commuting or an easier commute usually trumps relative seniority. When you consider that BOS is the fastest growing base I think you could probably get a 320 slot in BOS within a year. That's just a guess. YMMV.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind being Jr. I'm a 3 yr Bus FO and am on RSV in SEPT. I'm sure you have your reasons but i don't understand why anyone with 3ish yrs would leave the 190 for the bus. If it wasn't for the 5 weeks in training (away from my little kids) I would have bid the 190 and still might. I'm getting tired of working every weekend and doing 5 day trips filled with redeyes and day sleeps.
I thought long and hard about it. I'm going from 40 percent to about 68 after all the movement is accounted for.... It's been a tough summer reliability wise on the jungle jet and my Captains who used to fly bus have been telling me to run for my life, so we'll see.

Airbus vs. E190 at JB. I have friends at JB who fly on both sides. One flies the Bus as a mid-level FO out of JFK (he loves it) but he seems exhausted all the time from, like Beantown said, red-eyes and day sleeps. He likes the variety of flying including West Coast and Caribbean flying. Another former co-worker who now flies the E190 out of JFK likens it to regional flying with primarily short hops out of JFK (IAD, BUF, SYR, PIT, CLT, RIC, BOS, ORD) punctuated by a few longer flights to Florida and Texas. He misses the West Coast flying on the E190 (he had 5-6 trips out West). I guess you are danged if you do and danged if you don't. Both fleets offer positives and negatives. My friends overall enjoy JB and are happy to be there.

Newhires will be on rsv for awhile, so, they probably shouldn't anticipate the best schedules/QOL.

Latest resources

Back