• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Japan Raises Pilot Retirement Age to 67

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The situation in Japan as far as pilot shortages is dire...! Lots of rumors about JAL planing to offer a foreign pilot contract due to not being able to cover their schedules.

Didn't JAL have a number of Americans flying for them in years past ? It would've been quite a number of years ago and I remember IASCO being the sole supplier. Am I recalling this correctly ?

Didn't JAL have a number of Americans flying for them in years past ? It would've been quite a number of years ago and I remember IASCO being the sole supplier. Am I recalling this correctly ?

Correct..., this contract went away with JAL's bankruptcy. But go forward 6-7 years and they are back making a profit looking at empty flight-decks.

Like us on the "blue team" this contract at AJX was supposed to be gone by now...., but now the order is to keep hiring through 2018 and the outlook is to expect AJX to be part of the ANA group for the foreseeable future...!

Of course, in aviation foreseeable can change in 24 hours LOL!

Last edited:
Another example of airline management's failure to plan ahead. JAL would have much less a shortage if they retained ALL of the Americans...and it would make it easier for them to recruit Americans now.

In my que, next to this article is SWA announcing that a 737 type rating was no longer required, in part because of the ever-worsening pilot shortage (from HRs point of view).

Also saw a number of jobs in China announcing choices of 9 different rostering patterns.

Another example of airline management's failure to plan ahead. JAL would have much less a shortage if they retained ALL of the Americans...and it would make it easier for them to recruit Americans now.

In my que, next to this article is SWA announcing that a 737 type rating was no longer required, in part because of the ever-worsening pilot shortage (from HRs point of view).

Also saw a number of jobs in China announcing choices of 9 different rostering patterns.

Companies/businesses in the US will do whatever is necessary to fill a position except pay more money. Businesses overseas are completely opposite to that particular philosophy.

The change is to 68, not 67. And it will eventually change in the US to mirror the rest of ICAO.

I expect this to change in Asia first, then Europe. Once that happens, it will also change in the US.

Pandora's Box was opened with the change to 65. Each new age change will be easier for Congress to pass.

Congress will be happy to pass the change because it will extend Social Security solvency.

Airlines won't oppose the change because it allows them to pay lower wages due to adequate pilot supply.

ALPA will quietly support it because it means more dues.

If/when ALPA turns its cheeks again, I just hope we adopt Canada's policy. If not, every capt over 65 should be mandated to lock their shoulder harness below 10,000'. God help us all.

If/when ALPA turns its cheeks again, I just hope we adopt Canada's policy. If not, every capt over 65 should be mandated to lock their shoulder harness below 10,000'. God help us all.
Copied from PPRUNE

A number of over 70, Airline pilots (one turning 75 this year) still flying A320 on domestic operations in New Zealand as there is no age discrimination. International operations are limited to 65 due to ICAO standards in other countries.

The change is to 68, not 67. And it will eventually change in the US to mirror the rest of ICAO.

I expect this to change in Asia first, then Europe. Once that happens, it will also change in the US.

Pandora's Box was opened with the change to 65. Each new age change will be easier for Congress to pass.

Congress will be happy to pass the change because it will extend Social Security solvency.

Airlines won't oppose the change because it allows them to pay lower wages due to adequate pilot supply.

ALPA will quietly support it because it means more dues.

No, ALPA in Canada already approved their version, and it keeps the dues coming, but at 65 they all go to FO on a narrowbody or Cruise Officer on a Widebody. If they NEED to keep flying, they can do it from the right seat after they do the "hobble round."

Bye Bye---General Lee

No, ALPA in Canada already approved their version, and it keeps the dues coming, but at 65 they all go to FO on a narrowbody or Cruise Officer on a Widebody. If they NEED to keep flying, they can do it from the right seat after they do the "hobble round."

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's what we want, but that's not what's going to happen. They'll stay in the left seat.

Latest resources

Back