Jamaica?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mjmcint

Does anyone have experience with flying into Jamaica? I will probably need to fly into Montego Bay from Houston. Any special routing? Will Montego Bay be a nice place to get stuck for 4 days or should I go to Negril? All info will be appreciated.

MJ

Flew into MoBay a year ago. Only special routing was overfly permit for Cuba. We used Universal for the trip planning. They took care of everything - expensive though.

I have been twice. The first time, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort in MoBay. It was very crowded.

The second time we stayed at the Point Village in Negril. I made the reservations through a travel agent so the transportation to Negril was included. If I remember correctly, Negril is about a 45 minute cab ride. The resort seemed much quieter except for the evening parties at the neighboring resorts - Hedonism and Sandals.

Both places were all-inclusive resorts - meals, entertainment, recreation. The hotels are nothing like what you would expect in the states. They make Motel 6 look like a 5 star hotel. I would classify the country as 4th world.

Be careful if you venture off the resort. Everyone is nice, but everyone is looking for a handout - very poor country. Plan to tip a lot. It can be annoying, but remember these people make their living from a few months of tourism.

When it's time to leave, don't be in a hurry. Everyone moves slowly. Give yourself plenty of time to get the airplane ready for departure.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay. The scenery is beautiful. Research on the web and check with a travel agent. They can give you good advice.

It's been a few year but I have flown to Mo Bay twice now. Be sure to stay at a "resort" and not a "hotel"...we learned the hard way the first time. We stayed at the Jack Tar Beach Resort....very nice all-inclusive resort fairly close to the airport (drinks are included-knock yourself out).

I would highly recommend the first time going over Cuba to get your permits through a handler type source (ie Air Routing, Universal, etc). Read the notes on the charts ahead of time and remember to call Havanna center prior to crossing the FIR boundary.

Like the previous post becareful if you venture away from the resort as the locals tend to look for handouts and are very pushy about it. It is easy to get yourself into an uncomfortable position if you venture out on your own. If you want to get out arrange with the hotel for a tour guide...they are scrutinized by the hotels closely. The water falls in Ocho Rios (sp?) is pretty neat...you actually can climb the falls from the sea. It is easy to get yourself into an uncomfortable position. Crime tends to be high, but not like Kingston...very bad place crime wise. Be advised they drive a little crazy down there.

REally is a nice place to go...beautiful country! Enjoy your stay!

The country itself is beautiful.

Too bad the inhabitants ruin the entire place.

I agree, its 4th world.

Wouldn't go back if someone paid me to!

i haven't flow there, but i did go to ocho rios on a cruise. we did the falls and then went into town, you couldn't walk half a block without someone wanting to sell you drugs. i told them i was a pilot on a drug testing program and they said they had something to take care of that too. on the cruise, that was the only destination that they advised us not to stray off the beaten path. boxflyr

Handling/immigration sucks big-time. They will deal with you at their pace. Relax and don't plan on anything happening quickly. Get you "non-radar' mindset going, and I strongly second the advice to get your clearance from Havanna prior to crossing the FIR. Bring your own chocks. All-inclusive is the way to go, don't take a nice watch, and keep your valuables locked up in the room safe. Try not to carry cash.

That having been said, Jamaica is a great trip, enjoy yourself and just use some common sense.

Latest resources

Back