• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JAL ends talk w/DAL stays with AA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew Delta from Rome yesterday and sat next to a Delta nonreving mechanic. He said Delta is getting 16 MD90's from JAL.
Is it true?

Per RA's chat a few weeks ago:

16 MD-90's were going to be purchased and leased back to JAL. Now JAL is dumping them, so I guess they are ours.

If the AMR announcement is true, I wonder if the ETC will back the decision, or this is just one more move. If so, game on.

General, it is also free to join. There is no fee over there.

UPDATE: JAL To Stick With American Airlines To Speed Revival

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--Japan Airlines Corp. (9205.TO) Tuesday said it will maintain its existing alliance with AMR Corp.'s (AMR) American Airlines, spurning overtures from American's U.S. rival Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) and dealing a blow to the latter's hopes for expansion in the lucrative Asian air travel market.
The decision, announced at a briefing at Japan's Transport Ministry, is the culmination of a months-long battle between the two leading airlines in the U.S. over Japan's ailing national carrier, which filed for bankruptcy protection last month with $25 billion in debt.
JAL officials attending the briefing said the decision to stick with American Airlines and its oneworld global alliance of partner carriers was taken to speed restructuring at JAL, keeping the burden of doing so at a minimum.
For months, Japan's transport ministry had been pushing for a tie-up between JAL and Delta, as the latter has a larger trans-Pacific flight network than its rival.
"In terms of long-term growth prospects, an alliance with Delta would have offered lots of business opportunities as it has a wide network in Europe," said Daiji Nagai, vice president of JAL's corporate planning division. "But we decided to prioritize our immediate goal, which is to do whatever it takes to restructure this company in the first year; so we avoided the risk that migration posed of losing our current customers."
"Our president (Masaru) Onishi told Delta about our decision earlier in the day," Nagai added.
The decision to remain with American was largely due to the thinking of its new chairman, Kazuo Inamori, according to a person familiar with the matter. Inamori, the founder of ceramic maker Kyocera Corp. and who has become a management guru, started at JAL on Feb 1.
"We respect that this was an important decision for Japan Airlines and the government of Japan, and we believe they have made the right choice for JAL's many stakeholders, for Japan's national interests and for consumers traveling between Japan and the United States," said Gerard Arpey, American's Chairman and CEO.
Backed by their respective carrier group partners, both American and Delta had also offered more than $1 billion in capital and incentives to JAL. But the Japanese government, which has already pumped money into JAL, appeared to rule out any such investment, at least for now.
For Delta, the decision means it will be without a Japanese partner--a liability as the U.S. and Japan have reached an "open skies" accord that opens new opportunities for airlines to offer services as partners.
"The members of SkyTeam respect the decision made by Japan Airlines to remain in the oneworld alliance," said a spokeswoman for SkyTeam, of which Delta is a member. "We believe that cooperation with JAL would have brought good opportunities to all parties involved."
JAL-American will now apply for "anti-trust immunity," enabling them to schedule flights as a single entity. When granted, Nagai said the alliance will yield billions of yen in annual sales.
"We will apply for anti-trust immunity as early as this weekend," he said

Now lets see if the ETIC approves that decision. They are the ones(government) that has been pushing DAL. Their trustees are not seated yet. May be a rubber stamp, or it may not. Either way I see a fierce battle over in Tokyo.

The new head of JAL says they are staying with Oneworld, if they do anything else, massive face will be lost. Now JAL knows a lot more about their competitor in NRT. I don't think anything more will come of it, and I don't think it was a good thing for DL pilots anyway.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back