• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jackson Hole incident today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The A/C probably bounced or at least got light on the mains since spoilers didn't deploy, that in turn triggered the air/ground back to air logic hence no more reverse?

Trip, you just beat me to it. I think there might be an air/ground switch problem. BOTH the ground spoilers and the reverse didn't seem to work normally. We'll find out with the NTSB report.

Trip, you just beat me to it. I think there might be an air/ground switch problem. BOTH the ground spoilers and the reverse didn't seem to work normally. We'll find out with the NTSB report.

That sounds reasonable. I have had the auto speedbrake fail on landing before (B757), but they still deployed after reverse was initiated. This should be an interesting report when it comes out.

another bad "fetzer valve".....

Yeah, AA made a big no-no on that one. What is interesting though, is the speed in which AA made that decision. By that I mean the incident occurred just after 11:30 am on Wednesday and the NTSB had both boxes in their hands less than 30 hours later.

So there must have been essentially an immediate decision by AA to pull both boxes, get them on the next plane from JAC to OKC, download the FDR data, then get the boxes on another plane to DCA and delivered to NTSB.

Easily done, but a process in place by which to do it that quickly. My meaning being, this didn't happen by accident.....

IMHO, AA purposely wanted to see the FDR data before the NTSB.

Why......???

Hmmmmmm

So there must have been essentially an immediate decision by AA to pull both boxes, get them on the next plane from JAC to OKC, download the FDR data, then get the boxes on another plane to DCA and delivered to NTSB................................

IMHO, AA purposely wanted to see the FDR data before the NTSB.

Does the NTSB really allow an airline to handle the boxes before they do? Doesn't sound kosher to me.

Does the NTSB really allow an airline to handle the boxes before they do? Doesn't sound kosher to me.

Yes, but only for the purpose to transport DIRECTLY to the NTSB. NOT to download the data. AA decided to play with the FDR first in this case, hence the uproar by the NTSB.

What's odd is that there are been a few other recent AA overuns in the last year or two. I wonder what was special about this one that AA wanted to grab the FDR data first....

Last edited:
Update on NTSB...

Looks like not quite everything put together correctly:

"...Examination of the auto speed brake mechanism in the cockpit pedestal found that the linear actuator aft attachment was improperly installed and was missing a bushing. This loose connection allowed the cam to be rotated slightly relative to the switch, which could cause the switch roller and the notch in the cam to not always align. System operation with this condition present is being investigated...

Some other good reading in the NTSB update as well...

http://ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2011/110112.html

so... the crew didn't manually extend the speed brakes after they failed to auto deploy?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back