• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

J.P. Morgan pushes UAL/US merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Again, it will be about the three G's and not the really important issues.

Nothing like voting against your own self interests.

Its all about perspective as to what's important. There are plenty of jobs I can do that will put a roof over my head. Money is not the "G" I worship. Fancy houses and cars and toys are not the "G"'s that are important to me.

"Self" interest is not how I vote either.

Its funny how union members and different ALPA MEC's are supposed to be unified and not be "self" interested. But then when it comes to who sets the direction of our country, that's different.

Back to the thread topic...

J.P. Morgan Investment Report - April 21, 2008
... we actually see considerable merit to a United-US Airways combination....

They see considerable fees in a merger. Whether or not it benefits stockholders, employees, or passengers is another question.

UAL/LCC aint gonna happen. Insider talk at UAL WHQ is UAL/CAL

UAL/LCC aint gonna happen. Insider talk at UAL WHQ is UAL/CAL

Sonny, I think you're right. If they want the 'size' and reach to compete with the likes of a DL/NW, then UAL/CAL makes more sense. I think that LCC and UAL were talking just to cover all of their options; just as recently, everybody seemed to have some discussions with everyone else.

Besides, the UA/USAir did not fly in 2000-01; because of the concentration in the IAD/DCA area. And, NO management in their right mind would give up what US has in DCA, as they would most certainly be 'forced' to do this time, as last. US Air controls something like 50-55% of all the flights out of Reagan, and from what I hear, it is like the second highest 'yielding' station on their system. Not something any carrier wants to give up, and divide up among their competition.

For what its worth.

PD

CAL Continental Air profiled in Inside Wall Street section of Business Week (17.68 )

Business Week reports now that Northwest and Delta airlines have agreed to merge, expect more deals to take off. "In 30 days it is likely Continental Airlines (CAL) will either acquire or merge with UAL (UAUA)," says Vincent Carrino, president of sBrookhaven Capital Management, which has accumulated shares of both. The surging price of oil has wreaked havoc on the airlines' earnings and sunk their stock. Carrino says the big impetus for consolidation is to let the airlines slash capacity (number of flights and seats) by 10% and boost fares to cope with the rising price of oil, which hit $119 a barrel on Apr. 22. Carrino predicts UAL will be the surviving company, with Continental's management taking charge. Both airlines have a solid foothold overseas, especially in Asia,

Sounds like UAL mngt is "gone!" Am I dreaming???

You are scum. There is no need in taking pleasure of seeing thousands of people out of a job.

agreed..

on the UAL/USAir front... I don't understand why not UAL/CAL?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back