I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
El Chupacabra said:
We are shooting for 55 hours of duty any one tour max. After you reach that they will have to send you home.

Wow. Good luck on that one! If we had this limitation at FltOps, I'd be sent home after day 4!

ProFracPilot,

Can you explain how Flops is scheduling you with 135 Regs? I was told that after 10 hours of rest you can still be in the hotel and contactable but the time spent in the hotel is not counted towards duty. Can you elaborate?

So let me get this straight. You are suprised that at a fractional (pseudo charter) you spend long periods of time waiting at FBO's for customers, or are basically on call....Who woulda thunk it? Did you actually think you would fly with no downtime? Airlines are no different. Fly some, sit some. Long duty days 14hrs plus (up to 16 at times) are the norm not the exception. Now I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but if you didn't see this coming when you entered the aviation field you must have had blinders on.

Be happy to get things straight for you...

You finish a trip at 12 hours on duty. There are no more trips but you have to stay at the FBO 2 more hours until you duty out... for no reason other than they can. If there were another trip you can't possible do it in the time you have left before duty time runs out.

You have no airplane, no flying partner. You hang around at the FBO for 14 hours. Just because they can.

You are assigned an airplane that will not be out of maintenance for 2 more days. You must hang out at the FBO 14 hours. Just because they can.

The reason for this change is harassment while we are in negotiations.

It may not piss YOU off but it does me...

Lrjet55 said:
Can you explain how Flops is scheduling you with 135 Regs? I was told that after 10 hours of rest you can still be in the hotel and contactable but the time spent in the hotel is not counted towards duty. Can you elaborate?

Well, I don't know if this is an explanation. But here's the policy:

CREW DUTY/REST POLICY

[font=Arial,Arial]Dispatch may attempt to contact crewmembers once they have received minimum required rest (defined as at least 10 hours uninterrupted rest or extended rest as defined by SOP) after their last assigned duty period, but before their expected duty-on time.

When doing so, the following procedure will apply:

Dispatch will only initiate contact after the crewmembers have received at least the minimum required rest. Crewmembers will ensure they are available for contact after receiving the minimum required rest. After required rest, the crewmember will also ensure the hotel phone and the Blackberry is turned on and not silenced. The crewmember is expected to answer either if called. If called from 0001 to 0600 local by dispatch, for an earlier than originally assigned trip, the crewmember’s duty begins at time of contact. For calls after 0600 local, duty will begin at the scheduled show time. [/font]

I do not think that is going to fly very long.

It does not really matter when duty starts... it matters when Rest Ends. And according to the FEDS ... rest Ends as soon as you have to answer the phone/pager.

Last edited:
How do they know if you're at the FBO? In this situation where you know they can't use you to fly and if you live close to the airport why not just go home or back to the hotel?

FWIW reserve at Mesa is similar. You can't get a crew tracker to release you in time for the last flight home even if you don't have enough duty day to do anything because they're scared to make a decision. But of course when they need a favor from you they get angry when you won't help them out.

AirBear

El Chupacabra said:
Be happy to get things straight for you...

You finish a trip at 12 hours on duty. There are no more trips but you have to stay at the FBO 2 more hours until you duty out... for no reason other than they can. If there were another trip you can't possible do it in the time you have left before duty time runs out.

You have no airplane, no flying partner. You hang around at the FBO for 14 hours. Just because they can.

You are assigned an airplane that will not be out of maintenance for 2 more days. You must hang out at the FBO 14 hours. Just because they can.

The reason for this change is harassment while we are in negotiations.

It may not piss YOU off but it does me...

AirBear8 said:
How do they know if you're at the FBO? In this situation where you know they can't use you to fly and if you live close to the airport why not just go home or back to the hotel?

AirBear

You'll get it figured out as soon as you get here. There'll be a couple dozen NJA pilots in each of the main FBOs to help. Be sure and let us know when you are NJA bound.

AirBear8,

The company knows where you are at all times. After every leg we call in to give the times of the last flight and check on changes for the next leg.

You cant go home because you will rarely, if ever, have an overnight at your gateway. If you do then go home if you dont live to far away. Only you know if its worth going home on a 10 hour turn.

You cant go to the hotel until the company releases you to go. Go early if you want but if they catch you or if something happens like a trip pops and your not ready within an hour you'll probaly get in trouble or canned.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back