Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I've been making deposits in the bank of experience: education & training- CA Sully

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They all want Sully. But they won't PAY for Sully.

Sadly, it all comes down to whether the public will: 1). Insist on it; and 2). pay for it. Look at seat comfort, leg room, food, china, excellent customer service, larger planes, on-time performance, amenities, etc. Oh, they will bitch about not getting it. But, they won't pay an extra dime, or switch loyalties, to get it. And, this industry knows that.

I respectfully disagree- as many here know I am a Corporate Pilot and my boss and his clients/associates
often fly commercial. People will and do pay for leg-room, food, china etc- the problem is everything sucks now. In the '70's, when I was a child, upper deck 747's were paradise; a bar, pretty FA's etc. Now you are cattle and you do not get what you pay for- we are even slower transatlantic because of fuel concerns.

PAX will pay for luxury- it's just not on offer (and the cost is high)- you no longer get what you pay for.........

Last edited:
Every airplane that has departed the prepared surface at WN has been driven by and Air Force pilot.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or shear numbers of ex military on the seniority list.

Gup

You have civilian pilots at SoutWest?:confused:

I don't get why someone seemed so upset about my post. Sure, the military has high standards, and they produce very capable pilots.

But a lack of military experience does not mean that a pilot is in any way deficient for civilian 121 operations.

The quotes in the transcript, whoever they come from, seem to imply that the world would be a better place if all airline pilots had a military background.

Every airplane that has departed the prepared surface at WN has been driven by and Air Force pilot.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or shear numbers of ex military on the seniority list.

Gup
Well good God man!
Just think how disastrous they would have been if a mere civilian, Navy or Marine aviator was driving?

Navy guys are IMHO the best group of ex-military types to fly with, including the occasional ex-Marines (part of the Navy, I know).
Navy guys have a definate leadership quality about them, they instill a spirit of cooperation among the entire crew that often is refreshing, and seem to understand the advantanges of real team work in getting a difficult job done.
Sounds like there might be some MANLOVE going on here.......

The quotes in the transcript, whoever they come from, seem to imply that the world would be a better place if all airline pilots had a military background.

How about if all pilots had the level of military training....

You can leave the rest of the military culture in the military..... (not a slam... just saying everything has its place...)

It would be great if companies spent the money on civilians pilots as the govt does on MIL guys...

But it is not going to happen...

In addition, a good mix of CIV and MIL is great for a company...

Last edited:
Once again.... as usual... the point on FI is missed....

If we can get the publics attention that there is an experience problem, perhaps we can change it.....

Anybody interested in doing that with compensation packages?
True. We lost the thread. I think Sully continued on his heroic streak by broaching this subject. I really think the mil/non mil thing was implied by the press. The only reason it came up was that the mil training was a standard that could be understood by all. Not better or worse, just it was one of the few standards in our industry.

Once again.... as usual... the point on FI is missed....

If we can get the publics attention that there is an experience problem, perhaps we can change it.....

Anybody interested in doing that with compensation packages?

...and now standby for the rest of the story.....

Rez. is partially correct about experience....but he is leaving out important parts of this assessment.....

1. Sully is a year away from turning age 60...Why did ALPA support forcing pilots like him out....I guess experience takes a back seat to advancement for more junior pilots....

2. ALPA supports the MPL which would actually lower the requirements to become an airline pilot....Why?

Hmmm....Rez seems to pick and choose when experience counts.....

I've been making small regular deposits in this bank of experience: education and training," said US Airways Capt. "Sully".

"I've demanded that 4500 USAirways pilots hand over their money so that I can strip them of their dignity by associating with an amature union" says USAPA president Spoiled Bratford.

Latest resources

Back