• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's OVER......for now at least

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
True blue, Active Herk-- Excellent posts...

Now lets look at this statement:

"Active-duty and ARC members who are deployed in support of ongoing operations or are either voluntarily or involuntarily on active duty to support ongoing operations will not be released
until they return from their deployments or they are demobilized. "

It seems to me that nothing has changed for the activated ANG/AFR units and the dudes in them. They will continue to be used until HQ deems there units are no longer needed. Certainly seems they will be needed for a longer period of time since the AD AF will most likely see a reduction, however small, in its pilot force.

I dont see a massive return of activated ANG/AFR to the airlines. The only guys affected are the non-activated ANG/AFR guys, and the non-deployed active guys. But good news none the less.

BTW in response to the "two days pay" deal, lets say you work 7 days a month at the Reserves, using 2 days of 2 TPs, and 2 days of 2 UTAs, plus 3 mandays. Thats about 11 days pay for 7 days work. Monthly thats about 19 days work for 30 days pay. Now take an active duty guy. To get 30 days pay, he works 30 days minus 2.5 days of leave, minus say 4 1/4 weekends, and assuming no memorial day, labor day, new years day, MLK day, Christmas, 4th of July, pre-mission crew rest, post-mission crew rest, weekend duty officer, scheduler, etc..., he works about 19 days. Seems pretty even to me.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the folks who are exiting immediately from the AF. Most of them (a vocal few) already have jobs lined up on the outside (SWA, JetBlue, FedEx, NetJets) and were kept on hold, prevented from starting those jobs until now. The remainder of the pilots who are eligible to exit, now that stop-loss is gone, are going to take a good hard look at the current hiring environment before punching out. I wouldn't expect a mass exodus from the AF any time soon -- primarily because of the economy. I just don't see too many leaving the Active Duty right now without at least a good lead on another job.

Another job may mean AFR/ANG -- The Reserves/Guard may have some more people leaving, but those jobs will be snapped up by the Active Duty guys leaving over the next year or two.

The bottom line is that the already flooded pilot job market won't be that much more flooded with an additional couple of hundred AF pilots.

Good Luck to all. It's a great feeling to have my freedom back.

11S is Air Force Special Ops Pilots (ACs, MCs, etc.)

12S is Air Force Special Ops Navs, FOCOs, EWOs, etc

As per the discussion about activation/deactivation, I am in a reserve unit that has been activated and am waiting a class date at SWA and Jet Blue! Now, I have some active duty folks getting out ahead of me? I can only hope to deactivate and continue to serve as a reservist and not lose too much seniority. I think we will see rapid deactivation as the costs are astronomical. I agree with the above post, there will be a mass exodus from the reserves, but it will be the airline pilots who have decent seniority and will not be willing to "activate" in the future. There should be plenty of Guard/Reserve opportunities for the AD AF folks that are bailing. See ya,

#1 W

For FL510GV: good words, there's a lot of the older guys reading the tea leaves and throwin' the chicken bones to see what may be going on in the "real world" so they can throw down their retirement papers and still have a shred of an income to feed their families. But, one note to add to your train of thought is to highlight that the Reserves are now open to retiring O's as well under recent law changes. So, if someone really wanted it that bad, they could switch form their active duty spot to a reserve unit (if someone will take them that "senior"). They lose a day's worth (out of 30-days worth) of retirement pay per day of work, but pick up more than that in Resereve pay. And their time continues to build 2.5% for each year's worth they accumulate. Can't see this as mega-probable for most greyhairs, but it's a pretty interesting concept.

For #1 Windmilling: Just how does a fellow Herkybird pilot get in the same enviable position as you (minus the activated part)? But, the flight room agrees with you...most younger airline guys we know are still planning on keeping the part-time status with their units (even those that have been out a couple of years). Saw the older guys get out of the ANG/AFRES after the Gulf war, and have been hearing the grumblings that there's too much "active duty" support going on these last couple of years (even though the trips were to really nice places and not Pope or Lawson). Plenty of guys willing to be thrown into that scenario after the last half-dozen years worth of taskings and shuffles. The flying is great once ya get there, if you get to fly (anyone around when the Saudi's were pissed at us, so they denied all flying that wasn't directly protecting their borders?) We've got folks lining up their ANG/AFRES resume's and letters and will knocking on ya'lls door pretty soon.

Good luck to all..whether staying in or stepping out....

YeOldProp,

As a response to your inquiry, I worked my tail off in preparation for the airline interview. I started the process (FE written, ATP, etc) a full 2 years prior to my separation. I had all my apps out with 12-14 months left on active duty. I made religious updates and stayed in contact with most of my AF buddies throughout the years. I leaned on all of them for letters, info, etc. It paid off, as I had two interviews lined up and took a job while on terminal leave. When I got furloughed, it didn't stop. I kept in contact with my friends at Guard/Reserve bases and also hit up folks at Jet Blue, SWA and the cargo haulers. I have been very diligent and also very lucky. I also used an interview prep (free) at Randolph AFB. The lady conducts the interview prep at the family services center and her name is Faye Simmons. She is outstanding and was amazingly helpful. You go see her in your blue suit/red tie get up and she will videotape and critique your performance. Most of the AETC guys at Randolph know the value of her service.

Now, I know some guys who dropped ONE app off with AAL in 99, got hired in early 2000 and are singing! So, it does come down to some timing and luck. :cool:

#1W

Latest resources

Back