• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's Official: USAirways Wants American

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why didn't the ditching switch get pressed? Not a very complicated concept for a water landing(ie ditching).

Hi CaptFred! The NTSB concluded that it was not a ditching therefore the ditching checklist didn't have to be followed. They said it was a forced water landing. What page of your QRH is the forced water landing checklist on? At least the pax had an opportunity to see the Intrepid museum.

3 years later and we still do not have a "dual eng failure at low alt." procedure!! The ditching procedure is 3 pages long and quite irrelevant in this case. Relighting was the focus.

Landing Strip for sure!!

Darned modern airplanes! I wouldn't press any button labeled "ditch", "crash", or "explode". Who knows what some egghead might have wired it up to do? :p

According to the daughter-in-law I just sit in a seat and push the "land" button and the auto-pilot does it all....I tried to tell her but I could tell it wasn't sinking in.

I'd like to see any Monday morning FI qback do a better job than what Sully & Skiles did. With a windshield full of river, I'm thinking it would change the outlook on checklists & ditching switches.

Everyone lived. Any woulda coulda shoulda is pure BS. It was a once in a generation event that ended successfully.

Great outcome for sure-I have always said I would rather be lucky than good. No one can fault his energy management. I do know if the houses are getting bigger I push those thrust levers thru the firewall even if we went thru a formation of 747's. As for the ditching switch: it closes the outflow valve, emerg ram inlet, avionics vent inlet and extract valves, pack flow control valves, and fwd cargo isolation outlet valve. Most of those are below the waterline and all will soon be if the ditching switch is not depressed for a water landing, water ditching or whatever you wish to call it. Yep the low altitude did not permit execution of a long drawn out printed procedure. Those 2 things take about 1 second and seem to be common sense to me along with getting the ignition on.

BTW no one ever saw superman at his desk for the made up managemnt position they gave him before he quit. I did read a interview with him in the NY Post where he claimed the incident improved his homelife if you know what I mean. Apparently his old lady liked the pay raise.

Now back to your regular programming. Not worried about American and merging. I feel sure USAPA will take great care of everyone(Not).

Last edited:
Sully soiled himself once he took the stand in the DFR case in PHX. All West pilots lost any respect for him when he did USAPA a favor and tried to use his fame where he had no place being. Both are long gone from LCC thank God. P.S.- Is Cleary flying or out on medical like most ex-USAPA henchmen?

BTW I read about Skiles getting a SIC type rating in that beautifully restored DC-7 now on display in CLT. Why SIC-did he tube his PIC checkride?

He also made his way into the witness box in fed court in PHX. A jury found USAPA guilty of DFR violations in less than 2 hours deliberation time in a unanimous verdict. Apparently the testimony of these 2 superheros was not very compelling.

Sully soiled himself once he took the stand in the DFR case in PHX. All West pilots lost any respect for him when he did USAPA a favor and tried to use his fame where he had no place being. Both are long gone from LCC thank God. P.S.- Is Cleary flying or out on medical like most ex-USAPA henchmen?

Lost respect? You mean you had respect for an east pilot before he testified? I think you are a lier.

Latest resources

Back