• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LewisU_Pilot

March 27, 2009

To All American Eagle Pilots,

By now you have probably read today’s Special Eaglewire from Peter Bowler, that addresses
our current over-staffing and the necessary furlough of 75 American Eagle pilots – as well as
the reduction of 45 management positions. A copy of this letter can be found on Jetnet.

These actions are truly regrettable, but – given the serious economic crisis we are facing and
our current level of spending that exceeds our 2009 budget – we simply must reduce staffing
levels in line with our reduced level of flying.

Those of you who are being furloughed have been an important part of American Eagle’s Flight
Department. You have successfully completed the finest regional airline training program in the
world, piloted a fleet of modern regional aircraft and transported thousands of passengers safely
to their destinations – and we thank you for that. It is unfortunate that we have to make these
decisions, and hope to be able to welcome you back when the economy and our business
recover.
We plan to furlough our first group of 35 pilots on May 1, followed by an additional 40 on June 1.
We will have more details to share next week, including any subsequent displacements and
vacancies.
What we ask each of you is to stay focused on the task at hand and continue to fly safe. Feel
free to contact either of us or your Chief Pilot with any comments or questions.

Sincerely,

David
Senior Vice-President of Technical Operations

Captain Jim
Vice President of Flight Operations

That's not bad considering there are 2800 pilots. Hopefully there won't be more. I feel bad for the guys in the Eagle pool. It's going to be more than a year now.:eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully there won't be more. I feel bad for the guys in the Eagle pool. It's going to be more than a year now.:eek::eek::eek:

just enough time to realize it'd be a hell of a lot smarter to go back to school and get another job going.

Beats (MR) captain Ed at Mesaba (the DO during our bankurpcy)..... Not qualified on ANY airplaine we ever have had in the 60 + years. Took his 10K signing bonus and headed to Emirates (to hopefully get skin cancer) Yes Ed D. if you are reading this I was the furloughee to make a point to call you MR Ed (the horse's ass) Since we all know you never will bother to/be able to get that Saab type....

Because he is a Captain and the Vice President of Flight Operations.

I thought maybe he was a Captain in the Navy. I know a guy who is a Captain in the navy but he doesn't sign his name like that.

I didn't know signing your name as Captain was the hip thing to do.

Sinchurley,

First Officer Underpants

Latest resources

Back