It's almost over at USAIR.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LEROY said:
Sorry to post blindly here, as I have no dog in this fight, but is it even legal to invoke self-help while under Chapter 11 protection?

Well, 'Self Help' applies to those employees covered under a CBA. If the judge absloves the FA's CBA the company nor the FA's are afforded any contractual rights or protections that this process allows.

They simply walk off the job.

Sure, U could hire, but it would be too late by then.

LEROY said:
Sorry to post blindly here, as I have no dog in this fight, but is it even legal to invoke self-help while under Chapter 11 protection? ...
Leroy,

Actually, that is a very good question. No labor group has sought "self-help" protection following a complete bankruptcy-induced abrogation of an entire contract (including the TA/CAL situation) while in Chapter 11. USAirways has filed a restraining order seeking court protection against such an action should Judge Mitchell rule in the company's favor. AFA and IAM argue that abrogation is not a negotiated position as defined by the RLA, and absent a contract there is no 30 day "cooling off" period, and the union membership is free to act on it's own accord. The next 2 weeks will be very interesting.

Red

Everyone keeps going on about the low pay at SWA. You guys need to look up our new pay scales.

I rode U to recurrent this year and I have to agree with the thread title. I haven't been on one it a couple of years and I was amazed at how the aircraft have declined. The interiors were dirty and ragged. Stains on seats, broken trim, thread bare seat covers etc. The one coming back wasn't as bad, but the passengers equate the appearance of the planes as a gauge for how how well the maint. is.

Also I rode as a paying passenger instead of non-reving since I didn't have the time to risk being bumped. Given the number of passengers on board and what I paid for a round trip ticket with 30 days notice, they didn't even cover the fuel cost on the trip out, and probably just broke even on fuel and crew for the trip back, assuming that everyone paid about the same fare.

RVR300 said:
Everyone keeps going on about the low pay at SWA. You guys need to look up our new pay scales.

I don't think anyone is saying your pay is low. In fact just the opposite. Look how good your pay is and yet your are profitable. Employee pay is not the problem.

OK Everybody, repeat after me:

"Employee concessions have never saved an airline".

I am curious as to the reasons so many people think it will be different at U or UAL, et. al.?

OK Everybody, repeat after me:

"Employee concessions have never saved an airline".

I am curious as to the reasons so many people think it will be different at U or UAL, et. al.?

United will not get exit financing with the defined pensions in their current state. I don't believe employee concessions will save either of these airlines alone either, but I do know United will at least partially liquidate if the pensions don't go away - as will all the airlines with defined pensions, eventually.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back