IT'S ALIVE! A380 flies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vik said:
I frequently fly into LAX on 744's from overseas, and they have to use TWO baggage claims to offload all the luggage and even then, there is a porter working the belts and offloading bags when they get overloaded. Thats for probably 420 people including crew.

What do they plan to do when there are another 100+ pax or at least 150-175 more bags? 3 baggage claims?

Also, my two bags seem to always come out on different belts and it takes me up to an HOUR to get my bags to go stand in the customs line.

That's the fault of understaffed airlines. I used to be a rampworker for the airlines back in the heyday when the airlines were booming, and I can remember being the only guy unloading 2 aircraft by myself as fast as I could and hurrying to get the bags sent up the baggage claim belt. Sometimes it took over half an hour. And this was back in the heyday. Now with the airlines doing bad, it's amazing the bags even make it up the belt at all. How is that fair the the passengers. The bottom line is that airlines need to be properly staffed; then your wait wouldnt be so long.
Same thing with customs. I used to regulary fly international as a passenger and every time I passed thru customs, the wait was long and better yet, they usually only had 2 lines set up. Everywhere I go, seems like the lines are long, and the place is understaffed. Half of the checkout stands at walmart are always closed down. I don't think I've ever seen 100% of ever checkout stand working. Same with the post office; 9 total stations, but only 3 agents working. Wait wait wait wait waitWait wait wait wait waitWait wait wait wait waitWait wait wait wait waitWait wait wait wait wait

So much trash talk, you guys are hilarious. but if you ever had the chance down the road to bid the Airbus 380 (i.e. FedEx) you would in a heartbeat. You'd continue to talk trash but in the end when u look at your paycheck, you'd be grateful. Why make every-frickin-thing political???

Is it un-American to fly the Canadian CRJ? the Brazilian ERJ? Brasilia? The Swedish Saab 340? The list goes on...... buncha hypocrites. :p

While I admit I am not a fan of the French (well except for their fries), my problem is not with the airplane. It is with the airports it will service. As others have mentioned baggage claims at most airports can barely handle the -400, nevermind boarding lounges. How about the actual airport infrastructure? I have read where adjacent taxiways at LAX will be closed while the 380 taxis. I have also read that only a handful of airports in the states will be capable of handling the airplane

T-handle said:
So much trash talk, you guys are hilarious. but if you ever had the chance down the road to bid the Airbus 380 (i.e. FedEx) you would in a heartbeat. You'd continue to talk trash but in the end when u look at your paycheck, you'd be grateful. Why make every-frickin-thing political???

Is it un-American to fly the Canadian CRJ? the Brazilian ERJ? Brasilia? The Swedish Saab 340? The list goes on...... buncha hypocrites. :p

Exactly

Where were you guys when I needed help bashing the 380 the other day??

The Airbus may have flown today but I doubt it will ever really "fly" as the 747 did.

I'm going to look so cool in the left seat of that thing!!! Too bad only UPS and FedEx pilots in the USA are going to be able to experience the pay that comes with flying the largest civil aircraft.

FreightNazi said:
I'm going to look so cool in the left seat of that thing!!! Too bad only UPS and FedEx pilots in the USA are going to be able to experience the pay that comes with flying the largest civil aircraft.

Why in the world would you want to leave the 727 for an A380? Talk about a step down... The A380 can land at what, 24 airports? The 727 can get in to a lot more including some grass strips. Someone a few posts back wrote that the pieces of the 380 will be flown to the bone yard on a 747. Personally, I think it will be flown there in a 727.

You're flying one of the best planes out there... it's loud, fast, reliable, can back up on it's own power... what more can you ask for? (Other than a float kit for it).

Long live the three holer!

Latest resources

Back