• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It's A Rental Don't Be Gentle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thats one thing that bugs me about renting. You never know if the airframe might have hidden damage because some guy was up just before you doing loops and rolls or hit the tail hard on the runway while landing.

I personally can't wait for that Lear 23 routine that they are going to do at Sun n Fun this year. Personally I will be there this Saturday - Tuesday.

Thanks all for the info.

A co-worker and I were talking about a proposed limit of validity (LOV) program being looked into by the FAA. We were wondering if an airplane could/should be built for leasing only - never actually sold. This would be in an attempt to keep more control over the maintenance and end of life aspects. This issue of LOV is just in the "conversation" phase, so don't be looking for any new NPRM's or mx programs in the near future.

As far as stresses in an aircraft structure go.....

"....we had done a half dozen revolutions.. and you stress on the airplane in stopping the spin, was apparent to the two of us. Much harder feel on the controls etc… "

I am a structures analyst (stress man) for Boeing. I was with McDonnell Douglas prior to the merger. Having said that, if your airplane is being stressed such that you can notice a change in the control inputs after doing successive maneuvers (of the exact same type), you've got big problems. It sounds like something is slipping.

Seattle

Seattle,

I think the Eagle meant it was a harder feel on the controls compared the doing it in a C-150 Aerobat, not that it got harder the more spins they did in the same airplane.

regards

FlyChicaga said:
....Unless you hesitate on the pullout (let the a/s build up), .

if your airspeed is building, you are in a spiral, not a spin. that is a BAD thing...

A Squared said:
Seattle,

I think the Eagle meant it was a harder feel on the controls compared the doing it in a C-150 Aerobat, not that it got harder the more spins they did in the same airplane.

regards

sorta. it was more the point that the more spins you do the longer, (time/alt) it takes to recover. guess it is the momentum?

I know this may be somewhat of a surprise. But Student pilots, with 60 hours, and CFIs with 400, are not Bob Hoover. It is in the subtleties of the maneuvers that make it effortless(on the airframe) Sort of like the subtleties in my post…..which some of you have missed….

Let me highlight them again…

Aerobatics in aircraft that can do aerobatics with pilots who can do aerobatics .. are fun.

As for the 152, vs the 152 Aerobat. if the airfame can take it, why to they have a heavy duty strut on the aerobat? if the manuver is done right it should not be needed??? correct?

the answer is, NOT all of the manuvs are done correctly. and should not be done in non aerobatic certified aircraft.

Last edited:
Eagle,

Either you're doing it correctly, or you're not. There isn't a half way point in a spin. Either the aircraft is spinning, or it's in a spiral. If damage is occuring or stress occurs to the airframe as the result of a spin, it wasn't a spin, it was a spiral. The two look the same, but there isn't an airspeed increase in the spin; it's in a stalled condition rotating about the vertical and longitudinal axes (and frequently the lateral axis, as well).

One cannot afford to say that simply because one has less hours or experience, pushing an airplane to it's limits is acceptable, or will simply happen. Not good enough. If a 400 hour instructor is incapable of doing it properly, then he has no business doing it or teaching it, period. That's what the instructor is paid for; not to learn at the student's expense (and potential risk to life and property).

With respect to spinning, as no undue stresses are placed on the airframe, the strut strength makes little difference. To spin or not to spin comes down to two things: certification issues (is it legal), and capability issues (is it safe). Unless both can be answered in the affirmative, then it simply doesn't fly.

avbug said:
Eagle,

Either you're doing it correctly, or you're not.

like I said.

Aerobatics in aircraft that can do aerobatics with pilots who CAN do aerobatics .. are fun.

Latest resources

Back