Italy's private aircraft tax

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bleeds On

Anyone else see this? I'd like to know who thought this was a good idea...

Italy Private Aircraft Tax Update
In December, Italy’s emergency budget introduced a tax on Italian registered private aircraft and on non Italian registered private aircraft that spent more than 48 consecutive hours on Italian territory.

Private aircraft are defined to include all aircraft other than State aircraft, aircraft dedicated to commercial flights, air work aircraft, FTO’s aircraft, aero clubs aircraft, newly built aircraft until sold and rescue aircraft. Non Italian corporate aircraft operated privately would – for example – be affected, with the tax escalating to over euro 300,000 annually for large corporate jets. The tax is to be charged at the following annual rates (by reference to MTOW): 1) up to 1.000 kg., euro 1,50 per kg; 2) up to 2.000 kg., euro 2,45 per kg; 3) up to 4.000 kg., euro 4,25 per kg; 4) up to 6.000 kg., euro 5,75 per kg; 5) up to 8.000 kg., euro 6,65 per kg; 6) up to 10.000 kg., euro 7,10 per kg; 7) above 10.000 kg., euro 7,55 per kg; For helicopters, the tax is doubled per Kg. The tax is due by the registered owner, the beneficiary or the lessee.

At things stand, the legislation cannot come into effect before March 1st at the absolute earliest. However, the probability of this actually coming into effect remain significantly slim. To begin with, the proposed law will be subject to many judicial challenges nationally and at EU level.

When they taxed gas up to $8+/gal they wondered why you never bought any...so now they will wonder why everyone drops and goes to Basel, Zurich, Split, Tivat, Trieste, Dubrovnik, etc...

Italy has always been a economical place to park for extended periods as opposed to Nice, Toulon, and Marseille....but maybe not anymore.

No big deal, F' em...lots of options.

When they taxed gas up to $8+/gal they wondered why you never bought any...so now they will wonder why everyone drops and goes to Basel, Zurich, Split, Tivat, Trieste, Dubrovnik, etc...

Italy has always been a economical place to park for extended periods as opposed to Nice, Toulon, and Marseille....but maybe not anymore.

True, just pray that you do not breakdown in Italy and have to spend a few days waiting for parts.

True, just pray that you do not breakdown in Italy and have to spend a few days waiting for parts.

Cant imagine waiting too long for parts in Italy?...but still...we are talking $400-900/day for most corporate planes, so really not the end of the world?....just another insane eurotax that we will avoid if possible.

Whats crazy is that those prices are still cheaper then LFMN in the summer.

We do what we can...:(

Funny no one complains about the US Signature "handling" fees. They're just as outrageous.

You can choose to avoid any signature controlled ramp... even go to another 'port...

You can't avoid this, it comes with the full force and effect of the .gov, who can stop you from leaving if you don't pay.

Big difference.

Gulfstream 200,

I'm italian and I think this tax is plain stupid (and a shame nonetheless),
but:
-doesn't apply to aoc aircraft
-stay tuned, someone is reconsidering

btw, our public finances are probably a mess, but, afaik, we have not
yet sold trieste to the best bid :)

you're welcome

ciao
marco

You can choose to avoid any signature controlled ramp... even go to another 'port...

You can't avoid this, it comes with the full force and effect of the .gov, who can stop you from leaving if you don't pay.

Big difference.

You must not frequent SFO.

Cant imagine waiting too long for parts in Italy?...but still...we are talking $400-900/day for most corporate planes, so really not the end of the world?....just another insane eurotax that we will avoid if possible.

Whats crazy is that those prices are still cheaper then LFMN in the summer.

We do what we can...:(

G200,

Where do you get 400-900 per day? I haven't seen a daily proration mentioned anywhere. Can you send me a link? It's been my understanding if you exceed 48 consecutive hours on the ground in Italy, you owe the entire yearly tax. Our airplane has a MTOW of 98,000 lbs, so I believe it would be calculated as follows.

44,452 kg x 7.55 euro = 335,613 Euro x 1.32 dollars per euro = $443,009 tax owed for exceeding any 48 consecutive hours on the ground during the tax year.

I'd be very happy if I'm misunderstanding the way the tax is to be applied, but so far I haven't seen anything that supports a daily proration. Either way, I'm pretty sure we won't be exceeding 48 hours in Italy if this joke goes through.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back