Italy's private aircraft tax

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G200,

Where do you get 400-900 per day? I haven't seen a daily proration mentioned anywhere. Can you send me a link? It's been my understanding if you exceed 48 consecutive hours on the ground in Italy, you owe the entire yearly tax. Our airplane has a MTOW of 98,000 lbs, so I believe it would be calculated as follows.

44,452 kg x 7.55 euro = 335,613 Euro x 1.32 dollars per euro = $443,009 tax owed for exceeding any 48 consecutive hours on the ground during the tax year.

I'd be very happy if I'm misunderstanding the way the tax is to be applied, but so far I haven't seen anything that supports a daily proration. Either way, I'm pretty sure we won't be exceeding 48 hours in Italy if this joke goes through.

Thanks

Sorry I have no more info that original post (seen other places also) Its my understanding that it would be based on usage -just a guess here!

Where did you see that an entire year would be due after 48hrs? LOL...good luck with that Italy...:) That makes no sense, but then again...

I'm not too concerned as I doubt it will happen and if it does theres not much we can do. I bet even insane euro-logic won't let this one come to fruition. They are on year 5 of EU-ETS and still can't get it together!

Anyhow, I say let them tax away - Its easy to repo out of Italy. Thats too bad as we sometimes sit 1-2 weeks with 3 crew, hotels, food, ramp fees, fuel? etc etc..but we can just as easily spend that 25-50K somewhere else.

We shall see.

Last edited:
G200,

Thanks for the response. I received this a couple days ago, and have seen a few similar versions including Bleeds On's original post. I agree it seems unlikely this will actually get implemented due to the legal challenges, ease of avoidance, and the inevitable loss of State revenue; but then again, it wouldn't shock me if it does go through either. I know it sounds completely ridiculous, but the way I read it, the tax is an annual tax based on the formula, and you qualify for it by either being Italian registered or spending 48 consecutive hours in Italy. I fully admit, I have no idea it that's the correct interpretation. I was just hoping you had seen something I haven't that might provide more clarification since I haven't seen anything that talks about converting the annual rate into a daily rate.

"May you be aware that Italy’s emergency budget plan won final approval in Italian’s Parliament in December 2011 and inter alia such budget is introducing a tax on Italian registered and non-Italian registered private aircraft having spent more than 48 consecutive hours on Italian territory. Private aircraft are defined to include all aircraft other than State aircraft, aircraft dedicated to commercial flights, air work aircraft, Flight Training Organization’s aircraft, aero clubs aircraft, newly built aircraft until sold and rescue aircraft.

Non Italian corporate aircraft operated privately - not under an AOC - are affected, however, if the aircraft is under an AOC it has to be in a real commercial mission and ATC has to be filed accordingly.

The tax is to be charged at the following annual rates (by reference to MTOW): 1) up to 1.000 kg, euro 1,50per kg; 2) up to 2.000 kg., euro 2,45 per kg; 3) up to 4.000 kg., euro 4,25 per kg; 4) up to 6.000 kg., euro 5,75 per kg; 5) up to 8.000 kg., euro 6,65 per kg; 6) up to 10.000 kg, euro 7,10 per kg; 7) above 10.000 kg., euro 7,55 per kg; For helicopters, the tax is doubled per kg. The tax is payable by reference to the validity of the certificate of airworthiness and is due by the registered owner, the beneficial owner or the lessee.

The actual legality of the tax, especially for non-Italian registered aircraft, is highly questionable and legal challenges and formal requests of clarification are likely to follow."

thread resurrection:

on april 16, the (in)famous law was amended:

- grace period from 48 HOURS to 45 DAYS
- after 45 days, tax is on a monthly pro-rata
- tax lightened on small aircraft (read sep)
- if aog/maintenance the clock stops thicking
- new rules retroactive (in case someone was caught)
- some tax on chartered passengers

to be ratified in the next few days

I'm pretty sure none is going to trust an anonymous guy on the net,
but I'm also sure many/all of you can reach a ops/legal dep. for
confirmation

hope this help

ciao
marco

Latest resources

Back