It now Official ASA will Shrink by 130 Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
79%N1 said:
Right, 3 month FO's on the bandit, who all upgraded in 12-18 months.....opposed to a group of mostly 3-5 year FO's, many who worked at other Majors and were probably Regional Captains themselves years ago before coming to ASA. Not even close. That said, yeah, there are a handful of inexperienced low-timers around now, mainly because who in the h-e-l-1 would want to work here now?

The upgrade in the early 90s was not 3 months. Try 3 to 4 years. These pilots did not come from FSI or ER. They mostly came from MIL and frieght/cargo. And there is more than a handfull around here. In fact, a couple are CPs.

Woa..........3 whole years!!!! My gosh, those must have been some outstanding First Officers. Maybe when I hit year six here, I can aspire to be that good, and not just some dumb FO, as you so eloquently put it!

We have many low time FOs here. These guys come here with only several hundred hours. Some do OK, and some are dangerous.

OK, lets not talk about the newhires. As a group, ASA has a very senior FO list. There are many 3,4,5, and 6 year FO's here.........and that will only get higher now that Skywests Genius's have boned us, since you know, we are only a commodity.

79%N1 said:
OK, lets not talk about the newhires. As a group, ASA has a very senior FO list. There are many 3,4,5, and 6 year FO's here.........and that will only get higher now that Skywests Genius's have boned us, since you know, we are only a commodity.

So what do you want?? I mean, really, what's the point to this whole "senior FO" thread?? Is it just because you're pissed because you haven't upgraded yet or what? Most of the First Officers I fly with here are more than competent. In fact, the majority of them could sit in the left seat tomorrow and do the job. I'm sure you're one of them. But, seriously, what is it you want from the Captains. No matter how experienced or competent you are, it's still my butt if metal gets bent or an MEL gets overflown or an OpSpec gets violated. I wasn't a 6 month wonder-FO either. In fact I was 4 years in the right seat. However, I still got one hell of an education in responsibility when I upgraded. Until you're sitting there, you won't understand.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just don't understand the point of the discussion. I've flown with some 6 year FOs who were worse than some 6 month FOs and vice versa. What is it that you're looking for to validate your 5 years in the right seat, exactly??

Anyone stop to think that if ASA gets rid of the 70s, they can furlough all the crew that fly that rating. And getting rid of the most highly paid pilots in that airline would be beneficial???

asqmatt said:
Anyone stop to think that if ASA gets rid of the 70s, they can furlough all the crew that fly that rating. And getting rid of the most highly paid pilots in that airline would be beneficial???
Uh, no, they can't furlough out of senority.

Plus, it would cost them much more to downgrade everybody to the 50. They'd all have to go through the full CRJ course again.

Last edited:
Super pooter, why don't you make your views known face to face with your pilots if you feel so strongly. Take your case to the crew lounge, not hiding behind a keyboard! You will be in for a rude awakening...

D'Angelo said:
The only point that will be proven is that ASA and ALPO are a bunch of tards. Theyd rather compete in the special olympics than have a job

Hey D' Bag, next time you go in for your medical, ask the AME to write you a prescription for a pair of testicles, ok? :rolleyes:

John Pennekamp said:
Super pooter, why don't you make your views known face to face with your pilots if you feel so strongly. Take your case to the crew lounge, not hiding behind a keyboard! You will be in for a rude awakening...

Is that some kind of threat. Is that supposed to mean that if I make my views known in public I should fear for my saftey? Its been done before, unions are like the mafia. If you get in their way you going to get hurt.

Latest resources

Back