Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LUV2FL5

hey guys

IslandAir told me they are not hiring this year, but would like me to come down for an interview next month.

anyone has info on them? Freight Dog, perhaps u can shed some light.

thanx
short

island air interview

Hey guy,

I too received the application packet for an interview. I just don't know if I am going to go or not. They don't pay well and it's expensive to live in HNL. They don't cover training expenses either I hear, hotel, food, etc...

But on the other hand it's a Dash 8, although they only have 4 of them. And the weather is nice, and pretty, and all that. But how to get there, they won't pay for a pass either.

Anyways, what are your feelings?

Av8ter

hey dude

are u serious about not money during ground school?

Anyway i think u and I are in the same boat as far deciding whether to go or not.

I haven't even look up to fair to hawaii yet. It's going to cost alot of doe.

i probably decide within the next two weeks.

good luck
short

I use to live in Hawaii, cost of living was so high only Hawaiian and Aloha (after several years senority) pay enough to survive, unless you live with your parents. When I get 2 mil. I'll be able to afford my house on Maui! And it's NavaHo and SemiHole! :(

Currently in the pool...

While it was a while ago the stuff I vaguely remember was the following...

You pay your own way to the interview, they "were" doing stateside interviews but I think that has stopped for this year.

Training, you are paid, but the expense's are on you (hotel and food). When you go to sim training, you get per diem, hotel, but only get paid when in the sim.
There is NO per diem as you are home every night. Pay could be better, but so can all of the other regionals too...
If I remember, upgrade was about 2 years and reserve was running about 4-6 months.

The schedules were basically two shifts, one in the am the other around 2 pm. I think they do no night flying at all so your down before the sun sets...

Again, this is from memory and is about 10 months old...

best of luck...

I already bought my ticket and am heading out for the interview next month. Anyone have any info on the interview process??
Mahalo..

island air

Living expenses are on you and they pay you while you are in training. this is true. the pay works out to be about on par with other carriers. the per hour rate is lower than some, but the monthly guarantee is higher than some. but cost of living is a bit high. housing can be the same as many bay area or socal areas (sometimes even less depending on what area of course). the main thing that is higher is gas, food is a bit higher too (except for the fish). reserves get a guarantee of 70 hours and line holders get 85. overtime flying is paid at time and a half.

time on reserve has varied from 1 month to 6 months. right now i would say its running about 5-6 months. upgrade time is all over the place. there are people who have been hired off the street as captains because there was a sudden need for captains and no one on the roster had enough time to upgrade. it used to be that if you had the time, you would upgrade... no time frame. now that things have slowed down the time to upgrade is going out.

now that aloha has recalled all but three of their furloughs and those three may be back soon, they seem to be getting back on track, island air might be on the roll again. traditionally island air's pilot staffing (hiring, upgrade and reserve times, etc) have mainly been based on whats going on at hawaiian and aloha.

currently there are 2 schedules.. an am and a pm. the am show is at 445am and the pm show is between 1155 and 1355. the pm lines get in at around 9pm or a little after every nite.

not sure what the interview process is like these days. typically you take a short 25 question written test (out of the ATP book), a small panel shoots some questions at you and you take a computerized psycho test. there used to be a sim ride, but i dont think they do that any more.

hope this helps....good luck.

Latest resources

Back