Island Flying??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

I've been looking for island flying jobs in the Bahamas, Hawaii, and U.S. Virgin Islands.

In Hawaii, there are firms that will hire people, but it is P-F-T and sounds like a scam to generate cash flow for the airline and would cost far more than just buying block time and logging hours locally.

I've found a place in the Virgin Islands, but they don't seem to return phone calls.

Anyone have contacts or experiences with any good island hopping places? Please drop me a private message if you do.

Thanks!

You may want to check out Samoa Air. They fly Twin Otters down in American Samoa. As far as I know, they're not PFT.
I don't know their address, but I'm sure you can pull it off the Net or something..

As for scams here in Hawaii, forget Pacific Wings and Trans Air. Both are scam outfits, and especially Trans Air since you pay them $10,000 to sit in the right seat of a SD360. It just amazes me the number of fools they find to fill that right seat. Come here with time, and you'll see a different picture.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, Pacific Wings was one the one from Hawaii I had spoken with. I could find a much better way to spend $10,000, and that is in addition to PAYING for their training class.

Don't know about Hawaii, but I flew a little bit in the Caribbean. I also faxed a lot of resumes and never got a response. The best approach--albiet not the cheapest--is to go down to SJU with a stack of resumes. It's kinda like Alaska--if you show up at the beginning of their busy season (@ October for the islands) and are qualified you can get a job. I was there 3 years ago, though, don't know about now.
Another thing is that most will require an ATP, because its sched 135 twins. Still, you might be able to find some FO stuff. Four Star Air Cargo off ST. Thomas flies DC-3, Tolair out of SJU does too, but when I was there they were a little shady. Or you could be an FO on a Trislander for Veiques Air Link.
Whatever you choose, be prepared to do the interview and training in "island time." Things often happen VERY slow and its easy to get frustrated. Don't--just enjoy the sunshine. I went down on a lark for the winter and ended up having a great time.
Do some searching on the internet and make a few calls. Check on www.raa.org and see which members have island addresses. If you need a vacation, take a trip down and scout things out. Good luck and have fun.

D

You might want to check out Seaborne Airlines in St.Croix. They fly Twin Otters on floats and are looking at adding several aircraft. Good Luck.

Freight Dog said:
You may want to check out Samoa Air. They fly Twin Otters down in American Samoa. As far as I know, they're not PFT.
I don't know their address, but I'm sure you can pull it off the Net or something..

As for scams here in Hawaii, forget Pacific Wings and Trans Air. Both are scam outfits, and especially Trans Air since you pay them $10,000 to sit in the right seat of a SD360. It just amazes me the number of fools they find to fill that right seat. Come here with time, and you'll see a different picture.

And you didnt even tell him about our old employer there. shame! :)

If you wanna fly 172s there part 135 VFR, check out www.fly-hawaii.com. He prefers CFIs but might take someonewith VFR 135 mins. The owner can be difficult to get along with at times, but if you really want to go to hawaii, check it out. He used to be affiliated with Sportys, but I guess not anymore.

thanks all for the info, I'll be surfing the web this weekend and checking the leads out.

Thanks!

414Flyer said:

And you didnt even tell him about our old employer there. shame! :)

If you wanna fly 172s there part 135 VFR, check out www.fly-hawaii.com. He prefers CFIs but might take someonewith VFR 135 mins. The owner can be difficult to get along with at times, but if you really want to go to hawaii, check it out. He used to be affiliated with Sportys, but I guess not anymore.

I wouldn't wish Phil on ANYONE. Besides, he obviously wants multi time. He ain't getting any at Phil's Flying Circus. :)

But sure... there ya go. Another to check is Mokulele which is FAR better place.. and the URL for them is www.mokulele.com
Still, singles only...

Latest resources

Back