Island Air Schedule and QOL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RJP said:
In between the BS, there's a lot of information.

I think the trouble is that there is soo much BS here.. :)

wow....dickead, douchebag, native jackass.....
where did all the hostility come from....all of you can't tell me that when you saw this post pop up you didn't sigh?
majority of the questions answer themselves....QOL is what you make of it regardless of where you are....its a state of mind...why would anyone apply to island air not knowing where they are applying to? hawaii can be the best and worst place to people....some love the isolation others get island fever and can't wait to get out.....some show up expecting hawaii to owe them something while others show up and embrace the unique and diverse qualities of hawaii....
the truth can sting...its tough to get into the flow of things without connections....hawaii is an old boy network and it can be tough to tap into if you come in with a chip on your shoulder.....i am sure plenty of people will agree....
in terms of the inner workings of island air i couldn't say....having read the other thread it sounds like all the other small carriers....rumors, lies, bad schedules, good ones...long/short reserve, short/long upgrade.....seems to me that every company is what you make of it....
sorry, 'heavy set' still has me laughing.....either he was having fun with me or he was the haole guy pissing everyone off.....
i'm done...give it a shot....do your research, hope it all sounds good to you so that when you get through the interview and they hire you and 6mo. into it you are still happy and having a blast flying and living in paradise....maybe you'll fall in love with a native.....

pay is approx $1300/month before taxes once you are qualified. Rent is outrageous...I just got a studio with street parking, no washer dryer, and a hotplate and a microwave for cooking for $750/month...and I am THANKFUL for it!

You are not an employee during training (haven't figured that one out yet) so you only get paid while you are actually in training. If their is a large space between ground school and simulator (there almost definetly will be, as much as 6 weeks) you will have a large gap without pay.

You are not provided housing of any sort (not even a discount at a hotel).

As far as commuting goes..."true commuting" is not possible as we only have day trips. The few pilots that do "commute" here bunch their days off so they can go back and forth but you will still end up spending 1-2 weeks at a time away from home. I do not know of any crash pads in Hawaii. Not that i've been looking though.

Commuting is also tough as we are not allowed in the jumpseats of any other airline. Hawaii is a popular place and getting a flight to the continent can be nearly impossible during certain times. When I worked for Eagle getting back and forth was a cinch as we could at least ride in the cockpit of American. Their were days during the summer that their were over 100 standbys waiting for a flight. PSA gets into USAir cockpits, Express Jet rides up front on Continental...we don't get any of that. CASS is supposedly in the works, but I would be surprised if it was up and running in the next 12 months.

The fact that you are even considering commuting would make me tend to believe that Island Air is probably not the place for you. Their are basically two types of people that thrive here... The folks from the mainland that have dreamed for a long time about LIVING in Hawaii...they love the surf...the hiking...the dark skinned wahine...whatever. The other group are the locals who have strong ties here that wouldn't dream of leaving and/or have a cheap/free place to live. Read the other island air thread and you will probably get more information about surfing in Hawaii than what it's like to work for island air. This is indicative of why people come here.

The "price of paradise" is extremely high. If you come here with a large savings account, a love of the outdoors, and a good attitude, you will do fine. Otherwise, a bunch of other regionals are hiring, use your jumpseat privliges to come out and visit once you're done with training.

good luck

What they didn't tell you is that your responsible for getting yourself to Hawaii and paying for a hotel. Then, if you get the job, you sit in the pool for 6 months to a year. They just emailed me AGAIN to see if I'm interested in interviewing...so I guess they are getting a lot of no shows....

Last edited:
House_X said:
What they didn't tell you is that your responsible for getting yourself to Hawaii and paying for a hotel. Then, if you get the job, you sit in the pool for 6 months to a year. They just emailed me AGAIN to see if I'm interested in interviewing...so I guess they are getting a lot of no shows....

It's part of the weeding out process. I applied in 2001 and then 9/11 hit. Island was in the drivers seat then and probably still believes they are today. About the only game in town if you want an entry level 121 job in Hawaii. Doesn't look like anything is happening with FlyHI.

I swam in the pool for a long while, passed on 2 class offers each about a year apart, all while WP went through 2 HR managers, 2 owners, a fleet upgrade (huh?) and the other 2 big guys in and out of Chptr 11. Check out the other thread on Island and you'll get a sense for the players and QOL. It all depends on what you want and where you want it. If you're willing to sacrifice for an island lifestyle this is the place for you. If you want an entry position maybe sticking to the mainland might just be the best option.

Personally, I like Willie K, spam musubi, plate lunch and shopping for bargains at Foodland. I can live on next to nothing ... but it doesn't work for my family.

Latest resources

Back