• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Island Air Minimums?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Man who cares how crummy the place is as long as your somewhat near the beach. I could live out of a car if I had to in Hawaii with that kind of climate....

question

is IA hiring for the pool. it is going to be very expensive for me to buy a ticket and than
pay for hotel for three days, do you think its worth it to go to the interview.

is IA growing at all, i wonder why they lowered their min.

Yes, Island Air is growing.

zafar7 said:
is IA hiring for the pool. it is going to be very expensive for me to buy a ticket and than
pay for hotel for three days, do you think its worth it to go to the interview.

is IA growing at all, i wonder why they lowered their min.
WTF. Why did you apply if you don't know anything about the company? You need to do a little homework on any company you apply to, they will ask in the interview what you know about them.
Do a search on this board of "Island Air", you will find a lot of good info.

Just to clue you in, WP was sold and they plan to add 5 Dash-8s to the orginal 4. One has already arrived. That is why they are hiring.
Second clue, when any airline lowers their mins the reason is they are not getting enough pilots that meet their mins. Hence, they lower the mins so they will get more applicants.

Now for the facts of living in paradise as an FO:

As a reserve FO at WP you will have take-home pay of approx $1300/month.
Don't plan on having you own apt (unless you have extra income to spend or a working spouse)
If you are lucky you can find a 1br for $800, but don't count on it. It would take some searching and some luck to find something like that. I got a 1br for $875 (750sf) and I was lucky. (for those that are interested, the exact same size apt sold in my building last year fro $210,000, just south of Waikiki). Most single FOs either rent a room in a house or have a roommate. You will have to rent a hotel room when you first arrive until you can find a place (unless you have a friend here). There are no Motel-6s or other discount chains. However, here is my best tip, go to www.discounthotelshawaii.com , they are a hotel broker. You can call and tell them what you are looking for, ie. the cheapest room you have, they will give you a list of places that are available and can book it for you lower than if you call directly. They do not charge for this service. I got a room for $45/night in Waikiki. (almost all the hotels are in Waikiki). Also, keep in mind, very few of the hotels have free parking. It's an island ya-know, land is not cheap. It will cost and extra $4-7/ day for parking. There is some free street parking in Waikiki but it is like finding a space to park in NYC. will cost $900 to ship a car from LA port. Plan on 2 weeks from time of drop off until available for pick up in HI. Gas is 2.25/gal or $2.05 at Costco. Electric bill is higher, I pay on average for a 1 br apt, $80/month. Food and other costs are about the same as any other big city on the mainland. Except you can get a fresh pineapple for $1.50, try doing that on the mainland.

If you have any other questions, ask nice and I will probably answer.

Last edited:
Island Air Interview

Hey there Islanders.....Im coming from LAX for an interview with Island Air. Cheapest flight I could find was $640.
But hey, you guys have an awesome job and I want it too, so I cant complain. I would greatly appreciate an interview gouge you can throw my way. Seems that the Sleepyhead guy knows his stuff very well, and I am very greatful for his info. My interview is on June 24th. I got passed the phone screening from Joe Edwards and looked on aviationinterviews.com for info but its about 2 years old. What kind of questions do they ask now? I really want this job and info from you guys would really help my chances of success. Any info would help, even if its the the size of the waves at Weimea. Okay, maybe not just any info. But whatever you guys think would help, please let me know and I look forward to joining you for the next trip to the ABC store.

Mahalo

Island Air Interview

Hey there Islanders.....Im coming from LAX for an interview with Island Air. Cheapest flight I could find was $640.
But hey, you guys have an awesome job and I want it too, so I cant complain. I would greatly appreciate an interview gouge you can throw my way. Seems that the Sleepyhead guy knows his stuff very well, and I am very greatful for his info. My interview is on June 24th. I got passed the phone screening from Joe Edwards and looked on aviationinterviews.com for info but its about 2 years old. What kind of questions do they ask now? I really want this job and info from you guys would really help my chances of success. Any info would help, even if its the the size of the waves at Weimea. Okay, maybe not just any info. But whatever you guys think would help, please let me know and I look forward to joining you for the next trip to the ABC store.

Mahalo

What is the difference between a commuter pilot and a pizza? The pizza can feed a family of four.

FLYGUY34

When did you apply? How much time do you have?

Does anyone know the starting salary? What are my chances being less than 150hrs shy of total but exceding multi by over 350hrs?

Last edited:
......what sleepyhead said.

zafar,

If you're asking if it is worth it to come to the interview, maybe that thought answers your question. I'm not giving you a hard time at all. It is just a (relatively)big step to move over here. Additionally, it'll cost you just to interview. I dropped about a grand for 3 days hotel, rental car, food, suit upgrades(new tie, shirts), airfare, etc. I could've done it for a little cheaper, but not much. For me, there was no question about whether or not it was worth it.(again, Im not raggin on ya). IA, and Hawaii are the perfect situation for me (minus the starting pay, of course). If you want to get on with just any good regional, and that's all you want, I would not waste the time and $ coming to IA. But if the IA and island lifestyle is what you really want...DO IT.

Also:

I had a small 1br apt., 28th floor, very nice view in waikiki, older bldg. (probably 1980's build). We were lucky; we had 2, count em, 2 parking garage spaces(in parallel though). It included all utils.(basic cable as well), was 100% furnished (can be good or bad). All for $12-hundo/mo.

It's sort of a different world over here(awesome IMO, but different for mainlanders)

As far as other info, do a search on IA or Island air- tons of info.

Sleepyhead, I just got back yesterday. I'll call ya.

oh yeah,

I also have used discounthotelshawaii before (on the suggestion from sleepyhead) and was pleased.

Coming back this time though, I called to reserve a room and the msg. said they would be out of the office til 6/21. So I used Yahoo travel and expedia and got close to the disc.hotels.HI rates; still, DHH was the cheapest. Dont expect Hilton, Hampton Inn, Holiday, Double tree quality rooms for $50-$70/nt. in Waikiki though. You will get a clean, decent(for the most part, depending on the property) room.

As far as I know, the interview process has not changed from the one on aviationinterviews.com and as reported here. (written based on ATP, interview, drug test, no sim, computer test) They may get rid if the computer test because that was a requirement from Aloha Airgroup.

Come prepared and be professional and you will most likely get hired. They wouldn't interview you if they were not interested in hiring you.

Unfortunately air fares have been going up and the summer is high season. It will probably cost you about $1000 to interview (unless you can jumpseat out to HI). All the more reason to think twice about why you want to work at Island Air. IMHO, the only reason to go to IA is if your goal is to work for HA or AQ and live in HI.. If your goal is to work at one of the majors, you will get more experience at one of the regionals on the mainland (and more money). Be realistic about the costs of moving and living in HI and what your career goals are.

One other thing to keep in mind. Even after you get hired, IA does not provide a ticket to HI. So you will have to buy another one. Current prices are about $700 from the west coast.

Latest resources

Back