Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Todays' airline pilot career really flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
xdays said:
Guys,

Not to put a damper on this otherwise enlightening thread :) , but I remember handflying a 767-400 a few times on the Expressway approach to runway 31 at LGA, and if I recall that's a 7000' runway :eek: . Can't do it on autopilot. I also remember departing EGE in the winter. Can't do that on autoplilot either. Anybody here hand flying their aircraft at 350 because they really want to? We live in an automated world, and it has certainly reduced the accident rate in our chosen profession. Why would we not wish to take advantage of what we are given.

x

The database on the 328 had the expressway visual 31 bulit into it. Just couple the VNAV and it would cross Dials at the appropriate altitude and fly a glideslope/flightpath all the way over the highway and Home Depot on the base leg. Of course, when tower told you to "square the base" for departure spacing, it all went out the window.

The river visual was in there too, although we never flew much.

Regardless of the technology onboard, it is not always available. We had an airplane not that long ago for six legs with George mel'd. The capt. did a great job of delegating the work by saying "Your Leg" before every one of the six.

Latest resources

Back