Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Todays' airline pilot career really flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

An interesting question. Is being an airline pilot these days, flying all the "new generation" aircraft (with all the computers and automated flight systems) real flying? I have talked to some airline pilots who fly these aircraft and they say that one has to become more technologically proficient than knowing how to actually fly the aircraft.

What are your thoughts?

I think you're onto something, these modern day airline pilots are scamming all of us! Our tickets should be half of what they are, any moron can push buttons in a cockpit and drink coffee.

About as much technology as a Cruise ship captain uses. I don't see what the big deal is. You get paid for what you know and are capable of doing. If that were not the case, half my professors would be out of a job, and so would pretty much every other profession unless you're in construction or plumbing. Lawyers don't get paid for the physical exertion they use for typing drafts. They get paid for their knowledge.

These questions/issues are getting stale.

PositionandHold said:
You get paid for what you know...
So what did they do, suck half the brains out of those NWA pilots?

although it may be a push button world, there are still the times when the buttons dont always work and the pilots need to come up with an emergency plan/procedure inorder to possibly save the lives of the passengers on board. And for this reason, not the button pushing, is why pilots are paid they way they are... or at least should be.

flyingnome said:
although it may be a push button world, there are still the times when the buttons dont always work and the pilots need to come up with an emergency plan/procedure inorder to possibly save the lives of the passengers on board. And for this reason, not the button pushing, is why pilots are paid they way they are... or at least should be.

I totally agree with FM..I would not expect for the passengers or F/A's to come save the day.

Latest resources

Back