Is this opnion common?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA/FO said:
F U R L O U G H E D ? Just completed his RJ Captain checkrides.

So that means its ok for him to displace or get in front of a real eagle guy to fly Capt. while he waits for AA to figure things out? Sounds like a scab to me.

Not a scab...no one is on strike and as long as he pays his union dues, he is just a guy being taken advantage of by AA. Does he hurt a few younger guys waiting to be hired? Sure, but this is aviation folks, and nothing is for sure. This is why ALL pilots should have a degree and something else to fall back on when this business crumbles. This guy may not have anything else, he is able to do and therefore must humble himself and take a step back to smaller equipment.

Truth be told, I smell flame-bait here. :)

We all know that the "flow through" agreement was more like a one way flow.
Did any eagle guys make it to mainline? Yeah, maybe after 10 - 15 years!

SWA/FO said:
We all know that the "flow through" agreement was more like a one way flow.
Did any eagle guys make it to mainline? Yeah, maybe after 10 - 15 years!

Not this argument again... please! Stick with the topic!

NAA Pilot,

Thanks

CLAMBAKE

You know what's funny?
When Jetblue pilots get hammered on the forums about pay, many of us will put forth a very logical defense about how pilots are not to blame for the state of the industry, ie: management, fuel, deregulation, wild spending, business travelers, yields, etc. All of which I agree with.
But when we're sitting in the bar or the crewroom and the discussion of pilot pay/benefits comes up, it's frequently greedy pilots in concert with ALPA who did the industry in - AND - we have to be careful that we don't meet the same fate as everyone else. How? By keeping the unions out and waiting for the demise of some poor legacy carrier.
Nothing is more pathetic than a pilot who BELIEVES that he is over paid or a pilot who subscribes to the management notion that YOU'RE LUCKY TO HAVE A JOB.
We are worth more because of the job that we do and the skills that we possess - not because we're ambitious egotists. We are worth more because it took us 10 years of poverty level internship to set foot in a heavy iron cockpit and we are worth more because we make decisions and utilize knowledge that safely moves millions of people from point A to point B in all kinds of weather at all hours of the day.
To me, the discussion of what the industry can afford in terms of pilot pay has got to end - because management would love to have THAT discussion for another 3 years. Fares go lower and the race to the bottom continues.
Before you all jump in and say "HA!, I KNEW IT!" I will tell you that there are hundreds of Jetblue pilots who understand what a race to the bottom is and there are hundreds of pilots who understand that unions are NOT the reason we are in the state that we are in. Many of us understand that unions are the reason we have what we have because we've dealt with countless iterations of management all with the same marching orders from their boards and their shareholders.
What is not helpful at all is when we read on these boards that Jetblue pilots are scabs or that there is some deliberate collective effort to undermine the industry. Statements like these only add fuel to the "ALPA is the devil" crowd at Jetblue and makes any effort at having a reasonable discourse about collective bargaining more difficult.

shadesofBS said:
We are worth more because of the job that we do and the skills that we possess - not because we're ambitious egotists. We are worth more because it took us 10 years of poverty level internship to set foot in a heavy iron cockpit and we are worth more because we make decisions and utilize knowledge that safely moves millions of people from point A to point B in all kinds of weather at all hours of the day.

I beg to differ. You are worth what the market decides you are worth. As long as there are qualfied pilots willing to work for less than you, there will be downward pressure on your wages.

Pilot labor unions are only a stopgap. And now that their power is on the wane, I fear for the future of this profession.

LearLove said:
Hey, leave your mom out of this.

Since I don't know you, and we've never traded insults, I'm sure that was simply a pathetic attempt at jovial frat-boy humor.

Some people on this board may not take random, unprovoked attacks like that so lightly.

GogglesPisano said:
I beg to differ. You are worth what the market decides you are worth. As long as there are qualfied pilots willing to work for less than you, there will be downward pressure on your wages.

Pilot labor unions are only a stopgap. And now that their power is on the wane, I fear for the future of this profession.

I'm worth more because I was on the Riddle fight team, the Eagles. Only the best are chosen.

410dude said:
I'm worth more because I was on the Riddle fight team, the Eagles. Only the best are chosen.

Apparently the brightest too, hence the wearing of the shades indoors.

Latest resources

Back