• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is This Normal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My definition of a "good" landing has always been...on centerline and in the touchdown zone. If you waste a few thousand feet trying to get a greaser and then go off the end of a runway...a "smooth" landing surely wasn't a good one. There are many variables and being on the centerline gives many more options. Whether you are flying a 747, a gulfstream, or a 172 if you were to have a tire blow on landing on the downwind side...I'd much rather be on centerline and have that little bit cushion when the going gets "tough."

By the way...this has turned into a really good thread. Happy flying!

corp_da20_guy said:
My definition of a "good" landing has always been...on centerline and in the touchdown zone. If you waste a few thousand feet trying to get a greaser and then go off the end of a runway...a "smooth" landing surely wasn't a good one. There are many variables and being on the centerline gives many more options. Whether you are flying a 747, a gulfstream, or a 172 if you were to have a tire blow on landing on the downwind side...I'd much rather be on centerline and have that little bit cushion when the going gets "tough."

By the way...this has turned into a really good thread. Happy flying!
Yea, but if you land to the left of the centerline and the right tire blows, you have more room for manuvering.

Centerline... always insist on the centerline on landings. Do NOT let them get lazy. About 50% of my students consistently land to the left of centerline. Have not figured the reasoning for that one out yet. Once I see them landing twice om a row to the left of centerline, I tell them "I know you can get the left side, let's aim for the right side". They look at me and realize it is my subtle way to get them to the centerline. Always aim for centerline, never let them get lazy.

Centerline? You all must be "super pilots". The grass beside the runway is good for me, a taxiway works also. I can't stand micro managers.

Lower time CFI's?

Do I notice that most of the centerline only posts are from lower time CFI's? There is a difference between aiming for the center line and landing on the center line. I have always considered going straight down the runway close to the center line of much greater importance than landing exactly on the center line and I instruct that way. None of my students have failed their Pvt checkride for landings.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Do I notice that most of the centerline only posts are from lower time CFI's?......I have always considered going straight down the runway close to the center line of much greater importance than landing exactly on the center line and I instruct that way.

Yep! I'd agree that straight down the runway is an important aspect of landing, but why not on the centerline if that's arleady what you're aiming for. It's there and if you're aiming for it, land on it. One quick thought, the Jet Blue plane that landed with the bad nose gear, the one thing I remember everyone saying was "what a nice landing and he kept it on centerline".

Do any of you takeoff on the centerline? I mean why taxi out that extra 20' feet to centerline. Just takeoff the same way you land.

Other than practical purposes, I just can't understand why someone would intentionally land off centerline, unless they're lazy or unskilled.

Tom

pilotdoc said:
I think you're being overly alarmist. Again, you think landing 10' off center line on a 100' runway is unsafe, why would ever consider landing on a 50' runway?

This question is directed towards those that think landing off centerline is acceptable. (Small pistons, not 747, etc.)

ePilot22 said:
Do any of you takeoff on the centerline? I mean why taxi out that extra 20' feet to centerline. Just takeoff the same way you land.

Some organizations teach off centerline for visibility. Off centerline is also necessary for formation departures (and landings for those who do them). Off centerline may be necessary for wind, obstacles, runway condition, etc. Off centerline for lights, smoothness, etc. I advocate centerline, but I'm much more interested in weather the pilot can get the long axis aligned with the direction of travel...a lot of pilots are lazy, and don't.

I'm certainly not going to float an airplane down a 1500' runway just to make it smooth...but a pilot should have the skill to put an airplane down in 1500' without letting it hit the ground like a drunk goose. A tire blow out scenario seems the best reason for landing on the centerline. Although not needed all the time I'm still an advocate of using the centerline. Although a low time CFI...landings should be safe given the circumstances; with short runways it is safer to get the airplane on the ground asap, if you have a longer than needed runway make it a little softer to not put any undo stress on the gear/tires. Any professional pilot should be able to make a short softy IMO.

rfeathe1 said:
I would be very careful about landing on the upwind side of the RW in a stiff X wind. Most GA aircraft have a tendency to weather vane INTO the wind.
I've noticed that. Once you get a stiff crosswind, the airplane just want to turn straight into the wind. You're not done once the wheel are on the ground.

Latest resources

Back