Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this forum the reason pilots are getting paid less?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Blucher said:
Father FishandFly,

Can you explain to me why it is that pro atheletes are always thanking Jesus for winning the big game and not blaming Jesus when they lose? Personally, I think the hours and hours of preparation and practice had more to do with the win than Jesus getting involved. Also, just out of curiosity, do you play the lottery?

-Blucher

I agree that people are more vocal about thanking God when times are good than when they are bad. But ironically, people are also more reliant on God when times are bad.

I would also think that the hours preparing for the big game have more to do with the win than God.. Frankly, I don't think God even cares about who wins sporting events. Maybe they are just trying to give thanks where they think thanks are due.

It's not really that different than a nobody thanking God for his health.

El Ocho said:
If your morality requires god, then I am happy you are not Muslim because the more religious you are, the more your morality tends toward terrorism.

Morality given by god was the root cause of unimaginablly horrible terrorism. How can you argue for that?

What's wrong with random chance? Do you know nothing of science? There are laws that govern the universe. Unfortunately for the belief system you advocate these laws cannot be shown to require a god.

The difference between humans and animals is a higher consciousness, not a god's intentions. Nothing crazy about that. Reason for the higher consciousness is evolution. Over a LONG period of time one species rose to a higher consciousness than others. Why is that so difficult to understand and accept? Just because you are a member of the brightest species provides no argument that there has to be a god.
Give me a break. I can argue with God given morality leading to terrorism because what they did was not from God.

Andrea Yates drowned her kids and said that "God told her to". Are you saying that if you were her lawyer your argument would be that it was God's fault and that we should really be holding God accountable? That's absurd to try to back up your atheistic beliefs in that way.

---

There are two completely seperate areas in science...
1. Laws
2. A continual attempt by atheists to circumvent any possibility that there is a God above them which has led to making up of any and every story imaginable to try to explain why and how we are here.

I love learning about the laws of science. But number two is a joke. If you know about science, tell me how you are able to place your undying belief in a theory. As an atheist you must rely solely on theories according to the whole scientific method thing. None of that has ever passed the scientific test of being fact.

FishandFly said:
Give me a break. I can argue with God given morality leading to terrorism because what they did was not from God.

They thought it was. They believed it was. They had Faith it was. Did God tell you otherwise? Or did you think and reason to some other conclusion?

FishandFly said:
There are two completely seperate areas in science...
1. Laws
2. A continual attempt by atheists to circumvent any possibility that there is a God above them which has led to making up of any and every story imaginable to try to explain why and how we are here.

No. There is just science. What some athiest may try to do has no effect on what science is or says.

FishandFly said:
I love learning about the laws of science. But number two is a joke. If you know about science, tell me how you are able to place your undying belief in a theory. As an atheist you must rely solely on theories according to the whole scientific method thing. None of that has ever passed the scientific test of being fact.

OK talk about the classic blunder... You are letting semantics confuse your world.

If you don't know the difference between a SCIENTIFIC theory and theory, I don't think you understand science very well. Hence you don't understand this world very well, hence your need to create a god to explain things.

The fact that science uses the concept of a theory attests only to science's commitment to truth. A scientific theory is the truth with as much evidence as we have. Scientific theories are not eventually found to be NOT true. Only more insight is added to the existing truth. A "fact" is a small, single, simple thing. A theory is the more complicated conclusion arrived at from a collections of facts. Scientific theories do not eventually become laws or facts. They remain theories which just aren't able to be much more refined.

The scientific method which you childishly ridicule is what allows an airplane to be constructed and fly. Thus eventually providing you with a job.

Last edited:
FishandFly said:
Your faith is in evolution, mine is in God.

I have no problem with atheists desire to deny the possibility of there being someone above us. But you can't expect me to understand it, let alone accept it.

No, my faith is not in evolution.

I understand the theory of evolution to be correct because the preponderance of the evidence indicates it is.

That is not faith. Faith is accepting something as true that cannot be proven so. As such I have no such faith when it comes to scientific matters.

I do expect you to understand the difference between faith and understanding.

Whether you understand and accept athiests is of no concern to me.

El Ocho said:
They thought it was. They believed it was. They had Faith it was. Did God tell you otherwise? Or did you think and reason to some other conclusion?

No. There is just science. What some athiest may try to do has no effect on what science is or says.

OK talk about the classic blunder... You are letting semantics confuse your world.

If you don't know the difference between a SCIENTIFIC theory and theory, I don't think you understand science very well. Hence you don't understand this world very well, hence your need to create a god to explain things.

The fact that science uses the concept of a theory attests only to science's commitment to truth. A scientific theory is the truth with as much evidence as we have. Scientific theories are not eventually found to be NOT true. Only more insight is added to the existing truth. A "fact" is a small, single, simple thing. A theory is the more complicated conclusion arrived at from a collections of facts. Scientific theories do not eventually become laws or facts. They remain theories which just aren't able to be much more refined.

The scientific method which you childishly ridicule is what allows an airplane to be constructed and fly. Thus eventually providing you with a job.
I would expect nothing less than for you and other atheists to think that science is solely a "search for truth".

That concept creates a very noble effort on an atheists behalf.

What you fail to see (this is a theory), is that when you base your efforts on finding truth while denying specific truth and truths, your effort is futile.

Atheists like yourself would obviously want to discount this as ridiculous.

--

As to my lack of knowledge of the specifics of the scientific method. You've got me... Since I skipped over memorizing it all when I took science class in the 7th grade, I gave up on logic and decided to place my trust in the ignorant ways of the Christian faith.

Works well for me though.

I never did understand how so many scientific theories could hold absolutely no water, and yet continue to be looked upon as the only answer by atheists like yourself.

What does this have to do with pilot pay? Do you need a college degree to figure it out?

FishandFly said:
What you fail to see (this is a theory), is that when you base your efforts on finding truth while denying specific truth and truths, your effort is futile.

Atheists like yourself would obviously want to discount this as ridiculous.

That is ridiculous!

So your theory is that science is flawed because it doesn't take articles of religious faith as facts to be included in the data set for a theory?

Just because something is written in a book does not make it a viable fact to be considered in the quest for truth.

FishandFly said:
As to my lack of knowledge of the specifics of the scientific method. You've got me... Since I skipped over memorizing it all when I took science class in the 7th grade, I gave up on logic and decided to place my trust in the ignorant ways of the Christian faith.

Works well for me though.

Nice standard...

For centuries faith that the world was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth worked well enough too. Worked well enough until you had to travel a little farther distance and required some more accurate information...

FishandFly said:
I never did understand how so many scientific theories could hold absolutely no water, and yet continue to be looked upon as the only answer by atheists like yourself.

Could you elaborate on which scientific theories hold no water?

The reason science is looked upon as the only answer is because it is the only system I know of based on the search for truth based upon facts and requireing demonstrable results.

Nothing wrong with your spirituality, but why do you insist on intruding into the world of science?

Ochomeister,

When ya got ‘em cornered 'Check Mate,' "they" call you names, since "they" cannot argue on the terrain of rational thought. So I say, Compadre: move on. Yer wastin’ yer time and energy.

Besides, The Yip is Right On. As always.

El Ocho said:
Sig,

You are saying there is historically a religious foundation for morality?

Fine. So what?

I'm saying religion is a BAD and unnecessary foundation for morality.
Again, you've muddled ethical traditions. It's just what it is- the moral tradition of ethics, as in you're using what you'd call morality to test an ethical dilemma, comes from some sort of religious tract. End of story.

Whether that's goofy or not is an entirely different can of worms, and I'd be inclined to agree with you 100% on where you're coming from- my ethics thesis [minor, majored in Chem E] was on utilitarianism's vision of socialization. Ain't no reelijun in that manifesto.

And to explain why I think that's goofy:

I think it's abhorrent, degenerative behavior to maim and kill those who can easily be argued to be innocent, simply based on religious fanaticism fueling murderous, bombing terrorism.

The kicker? I'm talking about bombing abortion clinics. Ethnocentrism is pervasive, and it erodes ethical thinking--- if you believe there is a greater good and higher power in this world.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back