Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this forum the reason pilots are getting paid less?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's substitute the term maturity for morality. That would explain alot of problems with the industry and this board. Another problem with the internet forums is that management can come on here and flamebait. We know who they are and they prove the point that as long as pilots fight among themselves, management can do whatever they desire.

El Ocho said:
Relying on religion for morality is a terrible mistake, as any review of history proves.

Uhh, what? Morality is the tradition of ethics (without banging you over the head between applied and normative) that seeks authenticity with a litmus test against social mores (THAT word should ring a bell, 8 ball) derived from a common law- in our western world, it's canonical. It's not a part of natural ethics (virtue, Aristotleian style where it simply IS right), it's based on a code- Judeo-Christian is an example of this code that we call Morality.

El Ocho said:
Morality only requires a mastery of reason and logic. Back in the day when there was little education, maybe religion based morality was a good idea since religion was about the only educational show in town. Today however, as a civilized society, we need to reclaim morality from religion.

The idea that I need a god to help me distinquish between right and wrong... is wrong. And worse yet, problematic for a healthy society.

The time to follow/do what the church wants is over, and hopefully and unfortunately 9/11 made that painfully clear.

Don't muddle ethical traditions. If you're using Western Moral Philosophy as the test for deciding what's wrong and right in an ethical dilemma, then you're applying Biblical ideas (Why can't you bang your neighbor's wife? Why is that wrong? What's a wife, anyway?).

Utilitarianism or even the ethical tradition of Methodists (whoa, another religious idea-- but a neat set of ethical tests) might be what you're thinking of. In fact, it seems you're more on about Virtue.

Or a moron when it comes to Virtue. Jury's still out.

/rant

Sig,

You are saying there is historically a religious foundation for morality?

Fine. So what?

I'm saying religion is a BAD and unnecessary foundation for morality.

I don't need a god to understand that treating others the way I want to be treated is a good idea.

I don't need a god to tell me not to screw my neighbors wife. Why, because I just apply the previous rule, would I like it if that happened to me?

Religion leads to things like 9/11. That was religious morality in action. Perfect faith brother! Trust what someone else tells you is correct.

No thanks. My brain works just fine, I don't need someone else's conclusions.

Sig, Sig, is that you!!!!!! The greatness that taught me everything I know!!!

Whew, give me a shout brother!!!!

Suggesting that morality is religion based does lead down the wrong path. A better way to put it would be to say that morality is an inherent trait given to us by God.

For someone to think that it is random chance that humans are the only creatures that hold a basis of morality is crazy. There is an obvious difference between humans and all other living creatures because God intended it that way.

If your morality requires god, then I am happy you are not Muslim because the more religious you are, the more your morality tends toward terrorism.

Morality given by god was the root cause of unimaginablly horrible terrorism. How can you argue for that?

What's wrong with random chance? Do you know nothing of science? There are laws that govern the universe. Unfortunately for the belief system you advocate these laws cannot be shown to require a god.

The difference between humans and animals is a higher consciousness, not a god's intentions. Nothing crazy about that. Reason for the higher consciousness is evolution. Over a LONG period of time one species rose to a higher consciousness than others. Why is that so difficult to understand and accept? Just because you are a member of the brightest species provides no argument that there has to be a god.

FishandFly said:
Suggesting that morality is religion based does lead down the wrong path. A better way to put it would be to say that morality is an inherent trait given to us by God.

For someone to think that it is random chance that humans are the only creatures that hold a basis of morality is crazy. There is an obvious difference between humans and all other living creatures because God intended it that way.

"Broadmindedness is Highmindedness Flattened by Experience."

Question?

FishandFly said:

Father FishandFly,

Can you explain to me why it is that pro atheletes are always thanking Jesus for winning the big game and not blaming Jesus when they lose? Personally, I think the hours and hours of preparation and practice had more to do with the win than Jesus getting involved. Also, just out of curiosity, do you play the lottery?

-Blucher

El Ocho said:
If your morality requires god, then I am happy you are not Muslim because the more religious you are, the more your morality tends toward terrorism.

Morality given by god was the root cause of unimaginablly horrible terrorism. How can you argue for that?

What's wrong with random chance? Do you know nothing of science? There are laws that govern the universe. Unfortunately for the belief system you advocate these laws cannot be shown to require a god.

The difference between humans and animals is a higher consciousness, not a god's intentions. Nothing crazy about that. Reason for the higher consciousness is evolution. Over a LONG period of time one species rose to a higher consciousness than others. Why is that so difficult to understand and accept? Just because you are a member of the brightest species provides no argument that there has to be a god.

Your faith is in evolution, mine is in God.

I have no problem with atheists desire to deny the possibility of there being someone above us. But you can't expect me to understand it, let alone accept it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back