Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Skywest losing ground in Salt Lake City?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This message is hidden because General Lee is on your ignore list.

I'm sorry General, I missed that, but I'm sure it was your usual idiotic, juvenile comeback. I don't know how some Delta pilots made it past the psych eval. But I do know, that there are some you DEFINITELY don't want to be taking advice from, based on their demonstrated maturity level, and inner need to say and do anything to be noticed. You know, the ones who make sure everyone knows they entered the crew room. Who talk just loud enough to make sure everyone notices them. The ones who bully people below them to make themselves feel big. Who troll regional boards and make fun of regional pilots for flying regional jets, while holed up in a hotel in some major world city.

Maybe their mothers didn't pay enough attention to them. Maybe they were molested as children. Who knows. But not the people you take seriously.

Look, again, I don't care if you like women, that's fine. It doesn't change my opinion about you, that you gargle with feminine dou--che.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

That really was a good response to Box Office. She does seem "confused."

Talk about thread creep... How does this all relate to Skywest in SLC?

How about we get back to the topic at hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General

Now guys I have been watching this thread develope into a bash the General. Well there are times that I do get angry with him but it's quite obvious that he is poking you back for the reaction. I choose to ignore those posts.

I will say this, the General has always answered my direct questions in what I think are honest, sensible, non attacking ways. General, I really value that, thanks.

The current problems with the RJ's isn't ours because we have the job. It goes back farther than the General. But what seems to be the problem is that just like this issue came up from the senior mainline pilots the correction will need to come from the same place.

How...
I am not trying to start a fight, I only give a possible solution.
First, As part of the mainline pilot contract (I just don't see anyother way) is that it must include payscales to include everything from the Boeing Battlestar Galactica to Piper Cub. Then no matter who does the flying (mainline, contractor, or wholly owned) all the pilots in that equipment get paid that rate.

Now there are many problems with this. But heres the benefit. Quality of service becomes the determining factor, not cost. Make the contractor buy the aircraft, I don't care. Ultimately, if quality becomes the determining factor everybody wins.

Now the cream at the top of the seniority list will have to be scraped off to feed the bottom end of the equipment list, but thats the only way I see that the flying will go back to mainline.

Of course, it's easier to blame me for flying at the regional and maybe I am the problem but I think Mesaba is pretty lucky to have me with over 9000 hours and 30+ years of related aviation experiences.

Now back to the subject...
I don't fly the 900 but I have many friends who do. I have heard the stories of push backs and arrivals to gates being deliberately blocked, rude behavior in the terminal, and the finger being displayed to our crews. Now I don't want anybody to lose their jobs but eventually that BS is going to catch up with you. And maybe things aren't as good in SLC as you think...

Gate Service at DTW and MSP are awful for all of us. In fact twice recently I dropped the door and sent the FO in to find a gate agent in DTW. This is intollerable and I made/make a lot of calls. Nobody at Mesaba (pilots at least) are unaware of the gate service. I really hope this improves for all of us.

I'm a 900 Captain who goes to SLC just about every trip. I've never had anyone from Skywest or otherwise ever give me any trouble at all. In fact, the majority that I've met in the terminal and hotels, have been very nice. Delta even allows us to use their crewroom, although it's usually a ghost town in there. I enjoy flying through SLC. Even the gate agents are a breath of fresh air and the ground staff actually cares.

I'm a 900 Captain who goes to SLC just about every trip. I've never had anyone from Skywest or otherwise ever give me any trouble at all. In fact, the majority that I've met in the terminal and hotels, have been very nice. Delta even allows us to use their crewroom, although it's usually a ghost town in there. I enjoy flying through SLC. Even the gate agents are a breath of fresh air and the ground staff actually cares.

demographics...google it

I am glad I am wrong on the BS. It just seems to me that with all of our companies trying to bend us over a table in one form or another, you'd think the pilots could at least treat each other decently.

General -

Leaving Mesaba for DL (or anyone else) with decent seniority is a lot more than just getting treated better. Many folks can't justify the paycut. Going from a 10-15+ year CA at Mesaba, to a new hire at Delta is a pretty healthy paycut. How long would it take to recoup that paycut? It might only take a few years to match the pay rate... but what about all the lost income? How long would it take to recoup the 401k benefit cut? For a guy who is 46-50, there may not be enough time to make that happen. The longer we're at Mesaba (by choice or by industry circumstances) the harder it is to move on. For some, the grass ISN'T always greener.

Unfortuantely for many of us at Mesaba, staying here is a paycut too. I would MUCH rather be going from 900 CA pay to Delta 1year FO pay than the 5 year Mesaba FO pay I will be seeing in a few months. (with no likely reupgrade for years to come)

The bottom line, no matter what the angle, is that there is simply no stability or long term future flying an airframe that is owned by one company with another company's paint on it. As much as people detest J.B. for his views, they're pretty much spot on in terms of brand scope, etc. Even if every regional out there raised the bar simultaneously in order to give mainline the footing they need for a substantial pay raise, some schmo will simply start a whole new regional to undercut and provide the service the mainline managements desire- cheap labor and fixed cost.

Latest resources

Back