• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Skywest ALPA drive dead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is one of the biggest elements right there. ALPA isn't really a union it's just a bunch of local scout troops playing bastketball against each other. Otherwise this would be much better, as it is, I just can't stand behind it.

There are problems everywhere. Let's man up and face them. Why are most if not alsmost all regionals represented. Why are all career carriers represented? Why are the jB guys calling ALPA and IBT?

Think about it, what if DALPA had struck with Comair years ago, their strike would have lasted 6 hours. The problem is the segregation of mainline to the regionals, until that gets fixed, regional level ALPA is screwed. You may get the same pin as the big boys, but we will always be nothing other than wheel chocks to them.

We can think about alot of stuff. Think what would happen if you didn't hit that bag cart and got fired. Think about if deregulation never happened. Think about if this country wasn't so anti labor and the RLA was in our favor.

Get that stuff fixed (read conflict of intrest) and I'll be the first to sign up!

And what about the next probelm that surfaces. If you care to, you can always find a reason to not join. The real deal is this industry is going to radically change in the next 5-10 years. And that is fine, we can't epxect it to remain the same for 100 years.

However, are you going to be at the table, participating and having a say, when changes are made or are you going to take the changes with your hands tied behind your back and a duct taped mouth.

No one likes change. And for the most part people do not change until they believe that changing is less painful than the status quo. Yet, this is really where you can come into your own. There a plenty of indicators that suggest repsresentation at Skywest is the way to go. You can look to the horizon and get represented or you can look at your feet....

CFIT- I think you'd do some quality work for your pilots as a safety chairman or member.

Rez,

you misunderstand me. I don't blame ALPA for causing the problems that face other regionals. I simply believe that they can't do anything to prevent those problems.

as for why SkyWest has avoided those problems for 35 years now, I give credit to our management, company culture, and attitude of our employees.

what will we do when the bogeyman eventually comes to 'get' us too? I'm not sure, though this is the only argument people seem to be able to come up with when they realize that we in fact have it pretty good here. "yeah, you SkyWest guys have it good now, but you'll get yours someday!!'

I guess we'll go with what works, hope for the best, plan for the worst, etc. etc.

we'll have to agree to disagree. I wish you the best.

You don't think there is anything more too it at all??? Do you think if all regionals operated under the same exact contract SkyWest would be as successful as it has been? I think SkyWest's success has to do with the fact that they provide a quality product, and that they appear to undercut just a little bit (comparisons to ASA, Comair, and Air Wisconsin)... I think if the SkyWest pilot group stood up and said we want the same contract as ASA, Comair, Air Wisconsin (and so on) the problems that other regionals haven't been able to avoid would be slightly adverted.

Lets face it, we all provide labor. Mangagement can't do more or less than cash flow-in vs. cash flow-out in the RFP world. The pilot groups of Mesa, SkyWest, and Republic are what is hurting the rest of us... Not our respective management.

Rez,

you misunderstand me. I don't blame ALPA for causing the problems that face other regionals. I simply believe that they can't do anything to prevent those problems.

agreed, but ALPA makes the effects of the problems fair and reasonable. Kinda a like a lwayer. Go to court without one and see what the judge hands down. Get a lawyer and see it as it could've been worse.

as for why SkyWest has avoided those problems for 35 years now, I give credit to our management, company culture, and attitude of our employees.

Managements fear that you will unionize keeps them in check. What does that say?

what will we do when the bogeyman eventually comes to 'get' us too? I'm not sure, though this is the only argument people seem to be able to come up with when they realize that we in fact have it pretty good here. "yeah, you SkyWest guys have it good now, but you'll get yours someday!!'

No, the other arguement is that by defualt the SW pilots have been benifiting from unions for years. Your management sits down with all the contracts and comes up with something... what does that mean to you?

I guess we'll go with what works, hope for the best, plan for the worst, etc. etc.

Planning for the worst is getting representation or insurance. Why is it Southwest can have positive productive relationships with thier unions. SWA makes unions there partners. If your management is as progessive as you say it is.. what does ALPA have to do with it. I would think SKW management would say.. "we have another partner, another perspective... good"

we'll have to agree to disagree. I wish you the best.

Copy that :beer:

Overall it's pretty much dead. I heard that some of the cards on record are expiring and falling off the count.

How can cards be expiring when they have only been out for 3 months and are valid for a year?

Latest resources

Back