Is Skywest ALPA drive dead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
XJohXJ and Rickair-

your post are valid..... what are you going to do about it?

We don't need self defeatist in our ranks....

XJohXJ and Rickair-

I agree.

as to what we're going to do about, as for me I'm not going to join. Your posts seem to suggest that we should 'take one for the team' as it were. do you really believe that managements and MECs would suddenly say 'oh, well now that SkyWest is in the club, we're really gonna step things up around here!' that is a fantasy. there is no evidence to show that we would even keep our current pay, work rules, etc. I agree with Rickair in that we'd probably end up with a concessionary contract.

bad things exist at all regioanals. I don't want to trade ours for what exists at ALPA represented regionals.

this discussion has no end. it is an idealogical debate. someone once told me 'no one in business can truly be honest.' that type of cynicism is what I see reflected in the idea that every pilot group must be represented by ALPA. I respectfully disagree.

XJohXJ and Rickair-

Without a Mainline number, what can I do about it? Mainline's primary concern seems to be how they can sell us out to marginally increase their senior captains' paychecks. The regionals are completely powerless. Oh, yeah, mayyybeee in about 8 years I could strike (as long as there isn't another anti-labor US Prez.)......

ALL of the power of ALPA comes from mainline MEC's. Without their support, the regionals have nothing. In the case of regional representation, the leadership must come from the top down, 'cause we aren't invited to the table. So far, that leadership has been non-existant.

Last edited:
Why would ANYONE want a union at a company that's being run professionally without the union? What has ALPA (or any other union) done for pilots that SkyWay management hasn't done.

Time for the unions was back in the 20's and 30's...with todays' labor laws...we DO NOT need unions. UNIONS HAVE NOT SERVED THIS COUNTRY WELL!

Say NO to unions.
Look at our Auto industry...going down the 'drain' becuase of unions.

Bunny

Well you are a moron. Unions served the working class of this country well.

When my grandfather worked the assembly line in dearborn back in the 20's, you had to go to the bathroom at your work station for fear of being replaced/fired if you went to the real bathroom. The assembly line was an extrememly dangerous work place and peopel routinely lost limbs and lifes. Who do you think forced change? The Government? hell no. Unions did, by saying we won't work under these conditions and they got laws passed that made the workplace safer for everyone, not just union members.

The unions served the airline industry well, till lack of innovation, laziness, and poor planning caused the situation we are in now. The willing to do the same job for less by other workgroups is now contributing to the decline of salaries.

The problem with the american auto industry is not the unions. If you think that you are truly ignorant. The other automakers just make a better and more reliable product. Guess what is killing the auto industry? Lack of innovation, laziness and poor planning on the part of management.

Bottom line, if ALPA was gaining strength and getting close there would probably more noise from them. From what I've heard that the increase in pilot numbers is diluting the card percentage faster than new cards are coming in.

If that is not true so be it, but from whats going around the crew lounge it looks to be dying. Does any body have any numbers?

Well you are a moron. Unions served the working class of this country well.

When my grandfather worked the assembly line in dearborn back in the 20's, you had to go to the bathroom at your work station for fear of being replaced/fired if you went to the real bathroom. The assembly line was an extrememly dangerous work place and peopel routinely lost limbs and lifes. Who do you think forced change? The Government? hell no. Unions did, by saying we won't work under these conditions and they got laws passed that made the workplace safer for everyone, not just union members.

The unions served the airline industry well, till lack of innovation, laziness, and poor planning caused the situation we are in now. The willing to do the same job for less by other workgroups is now contributing to the decline of salaries.

The problem with the american auto industry is not the unions. If you think that you are truly ignorant. The other automakers just make a better and more reliable product. Guess what is killing the auto industry? Lack of innovation, laziness and poor planning on the part of management.

The UAW workers that are building Toyota's are doing just fine. The Japs figured out how to make cars better.... That is company leadership not union sandbagging.... good post...

Bottom line, if ALPA was gaining strength and getting close there would probably more noise from them. From what I've heard that the increase in pilot numbers is diluting the card percentage faster than new cards are coming in.

If that is not true so be it, but from whats going around the crew lounge it looks to be dying. Does any body have any numbers?

CFIT-

Your post paint yourself as a smart guy. I think you'd be great on a safety committee.

Latest resources

Back