Is SIC time really that worthless?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ukaviator

Its been said the SIC time in a CRJ is worthless in the mindset of employers, unless of course you are upgrading within the company.
We all know PIC time is king, however if you had a bunch of PIC prop/turbine time, and just needed Jet time in order to land that dream jet job at your favourite fractional, would it be worth going to a regional for say a year in order to get your Jet time up?

Is SIC time as worthless as they say?
No wise crack remarks please, this is a hypothetical question, thank you

No SIC is not useless, but after you have 135 PIC IFR mins getting more does nothing for your resume. Get your mins for someplace like Air Net or USA Jet and make the next move.

A number of folks have gotten hired at AWA and (I have heard) CAL with RJ SIC time only. This assumes you have ATP mins from your CFI days. Your prospects are much better with the turbine PIC of course.

Also, RJ SIC time can get you a job at a top-notch regional, a fractional, or a corporate gig. In fact, if you want to go corporate, the quickest path is probably regional RJ to get 1000 turbine for insurance.

One of the candidates for the job where I work (corporate) has a LOT of SIC time in twin turbine and believe me that is NOT being overlooked, especially since he is currently with a 121 carrier and every other leg is shared. In the real world the fact that you are actually flying (hands on the yoke) means a lot, albeit not as much as PIC, but it definately matters. The type of training you received factors in to the equation as well. I don't know what your history is but if your personality is right and you know what your speaking of it goes a LOOOONG way. Hope that helps...

dragland said:
One of the candidates for the job where I work (corporate) has a LOT of SIC time in twin turbine and believe me that is NOT being overlooked, especially since he is currently with a 121 carrier and every other leg is shared. In the real world the fact that you are actually flying (hands on the yoke) means a lot, albeit not as much as PIC, but it definately matters. The type of training you received factors in to the equation as well. I don't know what your history is but if your personality is right and you know what your speaking of it goes a LOOOONG way. Hope that helps...

Some really good info guys. Anybody had first hand experience getting a job after being let go from a regional whilst only ever being SIC?
Would a person with 121 time be looked more favorably upon than that of someone with 135 time, or does it not matter?

pilotyip said:
No SIC is not useless, but after you have 135 PIC IFR mins getting more does nothing for your resume. Get your mins for someplace like Air Net or USA Jet and make the next move.

Having 135 PIC mins isn't that much. Those numbers don't even come close to being Wyvern qualified or insurable at a respectable charter or corporate flight department.

A buddy of mine left a regional with jet sic time, and got a corporate gig that he loves. Just my $.02

Yes sig, but if you want to get some real PIC and to get out of the right seat then 1200 hours is the right number. Different strokes for different folks, many ways to climb that career ladder

Latest resources

Back