• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

T-handle

http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5435034.html

Is Northwest heading for a strike?

Liz Fedor, Star Tribune June 2, 2005 AMFA0602

OAS_AD('Button20'); var bnum=new Number(Math.floor(99999999 * Math.random())+1); document.write('');
http://servedby.advertising.com/cli...f3281,5499300804,696173^259930_/bnum=13800437 Facing what some union leaders call "an inevitable strike," mechanics at Northwest Airlines said Wednesday that the airline already has hired almost 400 replacement workers.

Ted Ludwig, president of Local 33 of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA), said union members discovered the names of recent mechanic hires in Northwest's computer system. A Northwest spokesman said Wednesday: "Contrary to some reports, we have not added replacement workers to our payroll."

But Ludwig, who represents mechanics based in the Twin Cities, said AMFA members around the United States found the names in training records available to Northwest employees.

He said the new mechanics had employment start dates of May 19 and May 25. But he added that no AMFA members have reported seeing new employees on the job.

While reviewing the records, Ludwig said, AMFA members spotted new mechanic hires in Washington, D.C.; Detroit; Memphis; Anchorage; Seattle; Boston; Chicago; Honolulu, and New York, but none in the Twin Cities, one of Northwest's two big hubs.

When asked why there were no Twin Cities hires on the lists gathered by AMFA workers, Ludwig said, "I don't really understand it either."

Northwest and AMFA negotiators are in mediated talks this week in Duluth, but the airline has asked the National Mediation Board to declare an impasse in the negotiations. Management has argued for pay and benefit cuts for AMFA members that would save the airline $176 million per year. Management has proposed 25 to 26 percent wage cuts for AMFA mechanics, cleaners and custodians, and wants to cut 2,840 more union jobs.

AMFA "refuses to acknowledge that such labor cost savings are necessary or appropriate," Northwest said in its May 24 letter to the mediation board. "The deteriorating financial condition of the company requires prompt action."

AMFA has until next week to respond to Northwest's request for an impasse.

"While it is not the intention of AMFA to strike Northwest, it is beginning to look like this is the path that Northwest Airlines has chosen," AMFA's Strike Preparedness Committee said in a Wednesday report. At this stage, the committee told Local 33 members that they are moving toward "an inevitable strike."

Under federal law, strike countdown would begin if the mediation board releases the two sides from negotiations. If an impasse is declared, there would follow a 30-day cooling-off period, during which a negotiated agreement might be reached.

Also, President Bush could appoint a presidential emergency board to block a strike. Asked whether he thought Bush would intervene, Ludwig said, "I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead." In 2001, an emergency board was named, and the two sides went back to the table and reached an agreement.

AMFA leaders are preparing to picket next Thursday at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. Ludwig said members will emphasize the strike threat and the union's opposition to outsourcing more maintenance work.

The union's legal counsel is investigating the hiring of replacement workers, Ludwig said. "The union is not going to make a concerted effort to contact them," he said. But he added that rank-and-file members probably would try to contact replacement workers. "They don't want to stand back and wait for these people to come in and take their jobs."

If I was in there shoes, I would say yes to a strike. The threat of loosing a job is a terrible feeling. When the company has over 1,000 jobs on the chopping block I would make sure everyone is aware that they will not be around with a yes vote if their seniority hire date is 1994 or later.

Of course if I was in there shoes, I would have a back-up plan and hopefully have enough cash in the bank to make a walk.

But if Northwest goes under because of this I won't feel bad for the airline itself, only for the employees. The airline has put itself where it is today. I blame Northwest for running ATA out of my hometown. My one goal to get out of the regional level and back home, got crushed by Northwest. When ATA entered bankruptcy, NWA went after Indianapolis hard. Well NWA suceeded and ATA pulled out of there hub because they couldn't compete with $59 fares NWA was offering. It's just stupid how theses airlines operate. Operating at a loss, draining themselves in hopes of killing off the smaller guy. Yeah that's the way to do it, dig yourself a nice deep hole... but then again I'm just a mechanic... What do I know about an airline?

Don't worry the airline will not go under. As much as I feel for the plight of the mechanics the simple fact is that the industry has changed and there are those that are about to be hit with a brick wall of reality. Most airlines are outsourcing their heavy checks and other items. NW is losing $$$ and AMFA is saying that the company is just fine because there are 2 sets of books. The pilots hired the firms to evaluate NW books and the conclusion was very clear. Concessions are needed from every group or NW WILL declare BK.

Personally, I don't see how they'll avoid a strike because at least half of the voting members will vote no on any TA because that is about how many mechs will be dumped if a TA passes.

NW will be just fine in the long run though. It was a smart move on the part of NW to train those mechs. Here are the options now: 1) Mechs agree to cut half their workforce and outsource the heavy maint. 2) Lockout all of the Mechs and replace them with cheaper ones AND outsource all of the heavy maint.

Call me crazy, but I believe NW actually hopes that AMFA strikes in order to bring in the cheaper labor. Just think of all the 10-20 year guys that they will be able to cut. This is a HUGE savings. Consequently, AMFA had better wake up or there won't be any jobs for any of it's members. Granted it will be slow going for the new mechs in the beginning, but as time goes on AMFA will be missed about as much as the ATC guys from the Reagan administration.

It's absolute war that is being waged upon union labor and the mechanics have been taking the biggest hits. The illegals at the OSV's are next on the chopping block because all of the widebody HMV stuff is headed for China and Korea. Meanwhile the execs at the seriously top heavy and ailing legacy carriers continue to pass out bonuses amoungst themselves. At United they keep saying they need to compete with the Low Cost Carriers (favorite buzzwords) like JetBlue because they are eating us alive.

My God man, United has nearly twice as many senior executive vice presidents as JetBlue has aircraft.

The best you can do is just walk away from it. Find another job, another career, start over and don't look back. It's all gonna start falling to pieces soon anyway and you don't want to be part of that. Forget your pension, it's in the crosshairs. USAir and United wrote the recipe for that, it's a formula and they are all gonna use it.

Oh, and don't fly on those friggin things either. They are not being maintained to the proper standards any longer.

Good luck all.

Latest resources

Back