Is Laughlin as bad as they say?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know what you mean!

Clemson, we did some searching on the net.

The school district down in Del Rio has a whole bunch of teacher openings on their web site. I think their were at least 20 positions they are looking to fill. So even if it is for only a year I am sure they would be glad to have teachers. I was happy because then that will keep my wife busy. She will have something to do and make money.

My wife hasn't gotten all the details on it yet. She just got a hold of the Texas board of education, on their web site to submit all her IL credentials to get certified in Texas.

Which class are you in? Are you planning on living on base?

Keep in touch..Ben

Thanks for the info. Although, I'm only going to be in Del Rio for 6 months, then on the Corpus Christi for T-44's. I guess my wife could substitute teach.

I start UPT March 19th, I think that is 04-07? I too was hoping for Columbus, but oh well, I'll take what I can get. From what it sounds like, we are not going to have much time to think about it anyway.

I haven't contacted housing yet so I'm not sure what is available. Last time I checked their website it said that there is a housing shortage. I guess living off base would not be too bad, except that we will only be there for a short 6 months. Congrats on getting your UPT dates.

Talk to you later, Todd

Albie-

As usual - great post. It took me back to some great memories. I was one of the few (3) married guys in class so my wife ended up feeding everyone at least once a week and we loved having everyone over. We also had a one year old duagter that all my classmates looked after. It was like one huge, happy family and I really miss it. I still keep in touch wih most and yes, I have friends all over the world and some of us even hooked up in strange locations on the ground and in the air for Enduring Freedom. Anyway, feeling a little sentimental. All you you make the most of your time and have a great experience!

PUKE

Cooperate to Graduate!

Clemson

Hey Clemson, my wife just got all the crap from the state of texas to teach. They want like $150 bucks to transfur her certification. She was not happy, but we will probably pay it. Worth it when you think of the salary she will make.

About Laughlin housing. Since you are guard, go talk to the wing training office. See if they can cut your orders for upt now. The way I read the AF crossroads webstie. As soon as you have orders for UPT and that base, you can fax them down and they will put you on the housing list. Explain that to the training office and they shouldn't have a problem with it and cut your orders early. That is what I am going to do at my unit. That way you can get on the housing list asap. I hear the married housing isn't too bad at laughlin.

Hope this helps some..Ben

That sounds like a great idea. I know the people in the training office very well by now and hopefully they can help me out. Any opportunity to spend less time in billeting or a hotel works for me. Thanks again,

Todd

Bloud-

You are exactly right. Get on the list soon! I lived on base after a 3 month wait (they were just refinishing them) and thought the accomodations were great. Just get on the list soon :D

PUKE

GO GUARD ;)

LAFB

I went to Laughlin, and I actually liked it. Although I was married...I'll be honest...the single life sucks if you're looking for that "special someone". But hey, you're going there to fly airplanes, right?

There's plenty to do...it's just that most people don't know much about the surrounding area. If you're into outdoors stuff, there's alot to do on the weekends. The Texas Hill Country is pretty neat...if nothing else, just to drive through it. You used to be able to take tours of the Mooney plant in Kerrville, which was a 2 hour drive from Del Rio through the hill country. There are a number of small creeks with rafting and fishing possibilities, as well as some decent hiking and camping.

Going west, there's the obvious, Lake Amistad. Between the lake and San Antonio, that's what 90% of all the UPT students would think of doing on weekends. I really only did the lake a few times. San Antonio was a once or twice-a-month adventure for me. Lots to do in that city as well....more than just the Riverwalk...go do some exploring. Austin is another hour up the road, and the nightlife there is actually better than SA's was. It's a college town (UT), so lots of bars and people to mingle with.

Out further west, are the mountains of West Texas. I didn't discover that part of the state until I was flying VR196 through the mountains in the T-1. I was impressed...I managed to spend a long weekend out in Big Bend National Park...a neat place to go. Just avoid it during the summer, because it'll cook your balls off.

Mexico is always fun, if you don't over do it. Some people in my class went there every weekend. I would get pretty tired of it. I went about once a month, or once every other month. There are several decent bars and restaurants over there.

The base itself is pretty clean, although it looks barren, especially in the summer when the heat scorches all of the grass save the few "crop circles" where the grass is green from the sprinkler systems. The weather is usually fairly predictable, more so in the summer. We went for a couple of months without a single drop of rain in August and September, so when it rained in October, it was very welcome.

Housing on base is good too. If you're married, or get to live in one of the duplexes as a single guy, you'll have plenty of room, but you are expected to keep the yard up, and that's no easy task in the summer.

The dorms got alot of complaints, but I didn't think they were too bad....although the air conditioning went out a couple of times.

Another source of info you can tap is the message board at ufly.com. There are alot of present UPT students that visit that board, so you can ask them how things are presently. Just try to avoid the ones trying to elicit flame wars or pissing contests....as a rated guy, sometimes I have a hard time going to that site only to find a bunch of UPT students slinging mud at me. But, for you, I think it would be a good place to find some info.

Good luck.

Thanks Huey, The more I read the more I am actually looking forward to heading down there.

Thanks..Ben

Sorry to bu++ in on your thread -- am PCS'ing to Laughlin (T38 IP) this summer & would appreciate any very current intel regarding home-buying situation there -- good agents, not-so-good agents, areas to concentrate & avoid, whatever-- thanks & looking forward to this assignment.

FastCargo -- I PM'd you about this same subject.

Thanks all.

VA

Latest resources

Back