Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bloud

GO CARDS
Hey all, like my subject line said is Laughlin as bad as they say?

I am just happy to get to go to UPT so I will go anywhere. I have heard some good things about the XL area, but a lot of UPTer's say it sucks there. I really wanted Columbus, but oh well that is how the dice roll. Just trying to find some plus's about XL. My wife is going with, so I hear the accompanied housing is pretty nice. So I guess I will be the married guy with the keg at my place.

Any good info about the base would be appreciated. Basically I know from past experiences, that people located in the middle of no where make it good time. I just wanted to make sure it is not all that bad.

Thanks..Ben

I went ot UPT at Laughlin and was FAIPed to Columbus. I won't lie, I didn't like Laughlin at all. As far as location, the big thing that made it tolerable was Lake Amistad and skiing in the non-winter months...but even that started to suck when the lake dropped about 15 feet in early 97. Going across the border to Ciudad Acuna is fun for a while, but that starts to get real old. I haven't been there in over five years, so it may have changed for the better, but when I was there, most guys would drive the 150 mile trip to San Antonio at least once a month just to get out of there on the weekends.

It's a little better if you're married (I wasn't at the time) because the saying we had was "There's a girl behind every tree in Del Rio." Again, you'd be driving to San Antonio to find women.

The things that make it bad socially make it good for UPT. There are very few outside distraction and most of the time the flying weather is great. While I was there, the base itself, though very small, is actually pretty nice. And, as you mentioned, the people will make all the difference. I had a great class and we threw parties at guys' houses all the time. If you have a good bunch of dudes in your class, it will make all the difference.

Thanks for the info Capt.

Thanks for the info Capt.,

I hope I can make it a good experience. I mean after all you do get paid to fly jets while you are there! Plus my brother lives in San Anton, so I have a feeling we'll be going there a lot.

Thanks

Everything is what you make it. LAFB is not the best, but I loved my time there. Having no distractions is a GOOD thing during UPT. (I will also echo everything Toro said) Go to SAT a lot to keep you and your wife sane :eek: Work hard and have a good time - I have some great memories from UPT!

PUKE

Personally, I'm partial to dry, dusty out of the way places so I'll be happy if they send me to Del Rio.

Hey the civil airport identifier there is DRT as in dirt.

Anyway, Bloud, I think you'll appreciate this website:

Things To Do in Del Rio

Pilot training was the most enjoyable 365 day consecutive period in my life. I went to CBM, and was single....however...for a married guy XL is great and you will have a blast.

10-14 hours days add up fast, and weekends are when you study and recover. Weeks will pass much faster than you realize. Go dove hunting in Uvalde in the fall, skiing on Armistad or Lake Medina (2.0 hours East) in the spring and summer, and take your honey for a monthly dinner/hotel/shopping trip to San Antonio when its too hot/cold to do anything else. Go to Vegas at least once on SWA over a 3-4 day weekend--maybe when you are done with T-37s awaiting your next training segment.

Biggest thing to do is have a dinner/party for your class a couple times a month. Take stock of each other and help each other through the rough periods. I STILL remember be invited to a married guys house for T-Day dinner when going home wasn't practical--and I still appreciated his opening his home to me and some other single Lts (he's a JB pilot now!) I've written this before, but my UPT buddies are still among the very best friends of my life. In fact...I'm at FDX largely due to the efforts of one of my classmates. I know you are ANG, but when your class is done you will have buddies in Asia, Europe, and all over the US...you have a friendly face in almost every part of the world. In short, location is a very small part of the "EXPERIENCE" equation of UPT. The camraderie of your class and the absolute THRILL of flying military jets doing acro, formation, and all kinds of crazy new things is so overwhelming, the location really ends up not being all that important in hindsight.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I think I will be able to have a good time anywhere I go.

All I want to do is earn my wings. I was worried about my wife liking it down there, but we found out she can probably teach at one of the schools, so that will keep her occupied. I am positive about it.

So Hell Rio here we come.

Thanks again..Ben

Del Rio...not that!

Just kidding,

You could say I have experience at Laughlin AFB...

90-91 UPT student
96-99 T-38 IP
02-? Reserve T-38 IP

I just can't seem to leave!!

Anyway, most of the previous posters have said the sailent points. If you're married, it's easier (I wasn't til the last 6 months of my first IP tour)...but you'll be making a lot of trips to SAT. The lake was the big thing for me, being that I have 2 jet skis...there were times where I would hit the lake every weekend, both days...getting a tan, having a good time...

Honestly, you'll be SO busy with SUPT, that you won't have the time to really get distraught about Del Rio. Get to be friends with your UPT buddies, cause y'all will help each other get through it...

Anyway, good luck and fly safe!

Fast Cargo

PS Toro...what flight did you go through in T-38s?

To Fast Cargo...

I was in Ogre flight.

Bad on me, only a couple guys whose name I can remember. Tucson (C.Schaan, A-10 guy...good dude) and K.Barker, my flight commander. He gave me the lowest of possible flight commander rankings because he he didn't have Windex for his eyeballs, but I've gotten over it.

Laughlin

Ben,

I'll be at Laughlin in March and my wife is also a teacher. What else have you heard about any schools on base or around the area? It would really help if she could teach or substitute.

As far as training goes, I'm more concerned with the heat than anything else.

Latest resources

Back