Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it safe to fly despite colorblindness?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dseagrav

Student Dork
I have my first medical coming next week, which got me to thinking - I am probably going to bust because I am green-deficient. (I plan to not say anything and just see whether or not I pass the colorblindness test, but I'm pretty sure I'll fail it.) I can tell the difference between red and green aircraft lights, though, so I can pass the light-gun test (provided I get all the signals down and memorized...) but is it safe to do that? I mean, if colorblind people can fly safely, why do they test for it? I can pass the light-gun test and get the restriction removed from my medical, but am I putting others in danger by doing that?

(For what it's worth, my fault is somewhat minimal - Green lamps tend to look white. That's the only example of it I can think of. It is off enough to make Ishihara plates unreadable.)

I would think it isn't unsafe. You will have a limitation put on your medical against flying at night and operating under lightgun signal control (don't know how they word it). If you pass a lightgun test, the restrictions will be removed. Obviously, don't do something unsafe but you will learn your limitations as you progress through the flight training.

For the most part the FAA is an old woman about the medical tests.

dseagrav said:
I have my first medical coming next week, which got me to thinking - I am probably going to bust because I am green-deficient. (I plan to not say anything and just see whether or not I pass the colorblindness test, but I'm pretty sure I'll fail it.) I can tell the difference between red and green aircraft lights, though, so I can pass the light-gun test (provided I get all the signals down and memorized...) but is it safe to do that? I mean, if colorblind people can fly safely, why do they test for it? I can pass the light-gun test and get the restriction removed from my medical, but am I putting others in danger by doing that?

(For what it's worth, my fault is somewhat minimal - Green lamps tend to look white. That's the only example of it I can think of. It is off enough to make Ishihara plates unreadable.)

dseagrav, I believe that you might be hosed. I recently read that the feds are about to tighten up on the color blindness standards because of an accident that was supposedly caused by the pilot not properly interpreting a PAPI (precision approach path indicator). If I remember correctly, it was a FedEx bird somewhere it FL and they shot a visual to a runway with no electronic guidance. The only vertical guidance was the PAPI and the pilot flying was apparently colorblind in such a way as to render the PAPI unusable. I'm not sure why his "pilot not flying" didn't correct his mistake, but these things happen. If I'm getting the story confused with another incident, I'm certain that some smartarse will correct me.

Yes, it could be dangerous. The vision standards are not just for recognition of position lights and the towers light gun. In the cockpit of almost any airplane that carries people, you will find a heck of a lot of colored annunciators. There are times that it is critical for the pilot to recognize these annunciators (often in very poor light, and a the worst possible time) with no time to think about which light it was or what color it might have been. If I'm rolling down the runway at five knots short of V1 and I see an annunciator flash, I can tell a lot about the problem without actually looking at the light. Red lights from one area might be cause for a high speed abort, while red lights from other areas are no cause for immediate alarm. Imagine the problem that could be caused if you improperly identified a caution annunciator. Some aircraft use white, green, amber and red on the annunciator panel. If there is any possibility that you could mistake the ident of an annunciator then you 'd better think long and hard about attempting to pass without getting caught.

I would make an appointment with an opthamologist and have him accomplish a very thorough exam. Take the opportunity to discuss the situation with him. He may know of something that could help,

Or, you could just steal the book and memorize it says Calvin. :big grin:

The best of luck to ya

No problem

I passed the lightgun test and got the waiver. I have had absolutely no problem flying for the airlines and jet charter. There is a reason they remove the restriction when you pass the light gun test. It proves you will be a safe pilot.

:-) said:
dseagrav, I believe that you might be hosed. I recently read that the feds are about to tighten up on the color blindness standards because of an accident that was supposedly caused by the pilot not properly interpreting a PAPI (precision approach path indicator). If I remember correctly, it was a FedEx bird somewhere it FL and they shot a visual to a runway with no electronic guidance. The only vertical guidance was the PAPI and the pilot flying was apparently colorblind in such a way as to render the PAPI unusable. I'm not sure why his "pilot not flying" didn't correct his mistake, but these things happen. If I'm getting the story confused with another incident, I'm certain that some smartarse will correct me.
You've got it about right. It was a FedEx 727 at Tallahassee, early morning (pre-dawn) landing using the visual glideslope indicator. All 3 crewmembers testify they were confident it indicated on glide-path - - not even slightly low - - however a history of colorblindness of the PF led the NTSB to conclude that his colorblindness contributed to the accident. The only colors in play here were Red and White, which was NOT this guy's deficiency. They refused to thoroughly investigate the illusions that can be created by dew on the lenses of those visual glideslope indicators.

Bottom line, though, is they ARE interested in the standards for colorblindness, and the tests the FAA uses. The pilot in question had received a waiver, but failed most tests he was given post-accident. The fallout may be that some tests used now may soon be no longer acceptable, or it may be more difficult to get a waiver.

Colorblindness is certainly a handicap in the aviation business. I'd have to think long and hard about jeapordizing lives if I had a significant deficit.

If you fail the ishihara plate test, you must send a letter to the feds requesting a statement of demonstrated ability test. Your local FSDO will administer the test. IF your color vision deficiency is slight, you'll pass.

As to your safety question, that depends on you. There is absolutely nothing you can do to treat or modify your condition, so it all comes down to how well can you see color, and is the the FAA willing to certify you? If you are granted a SODA and find you have difficulty interpreting in the field, then the only thing a responsible person could do is to hang up the night flying. No one can answer that question for you.

Best of luck.

I've got the SODA for "defective color vision." I still try to take the test during the medical to see how many plates I can see, but the SODA gets me out of actually taking the test.

I find that I really have no problem flying at night. Approach lights, VASIs, and PAPIs don't cause me any problem.

If you're unsure about night flying, go up on some extra flights with a CFI to see how you handle different situations.

Ya don't need color vision. After about 14000 hours, I'm still alive and have never found the lack of full color vision any problem at all.

I think what everybody is missing is that each person's color blindness is different. Try to pass the med test and get a waiver if you have to. We've had several individuals pass through our school with varrious degrees of color blindess, one of which is a commercial student of mine. Best of luck to you.

Exactly

The term "color blind" is a misnomer.

It sounds like vision in shades of grey. While there are some people with color vision that bad most of us simply have some sort of deficiency.

Either red/green or blue/yellow.

In fact 10 percent of the general male population is color "deficient". The gene is carried by the mother. Most don't even know it until they take a test.

I certainly had no idea until I went for my first medical.

As a "color blind" pilot all that means to me is that I pay a little extra attention during low vis ops and use the other crew members to confirm what I suspect is true.

It's basic CRM. Maintain situational awareness; scan, cross-check and verify.

No biggie.

Latest resources

Back