• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it possible? (US Airways flight)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4. Could they have mis-diagnosed the IDLE reading as being a failed engine?

Bottom line I hope they continue to be heros.

What part of both engines simultaneously lost power is confusing to you?

Why do people want this to be like British Midland Flt 92?

Is it because the 9/11 conspiracy is getting old and the moon landing hoax is even more stale?

Yes they did try relighting the engines.

Food for thought:
1. Where were the thrust levers?
2. What vertical mode were they as far as auto flight?
3. Could the AT have commanded IDLE while they were descending?
4. Could they have mis-diagnosed the IDLE reading as being a failed engine?

Bottom line I hope they continue to be heros.

Another point that no-one has mentioned so far.
CFM's are FADEC equipped. FADEC "controls and PROTECTS" the engine. I wonder if the ingested birds caused abnormal pressure/temps to trigger a reduced fuel schedule... just my .02.

That point was covered in another thread.

This is edited and copied from another Forum/Thread. I am not the Author. It does raise an interesting question.

“An opinion about the A320 from one unidentified pilot:

Don't be surprised if the Airbus fly by wire computers didn't put a perfectly good airplane in the water. In an older generation airplane like the 727 or 737 300/400 the throttles are hooked to the fuel controllers on the engine by a steel throttle cable ... On the Airbus nothing in the cockpit is real. Everything is electronic.

In an older generation airplane when you hit birds the engines keep screaming or they blow up but they don't both roll back to idle simultaneously like happened to Flt. 1549. All it would take is for bird guts to plug a pressure sensor or knock the pitot probe off or plug it and the computers would roll the engines back to idle thinking they were over boosting because the computers were getting bad data. "

Last edited:

This is edited and copied from another Forum/Thread. I am not the Author. It does raise an interesting question.

Don't be surprised if the Airbus fly by wire computers didn't put a perfectly good airplane in the water.

Sounds like another guy who thinks his very limited third-hand knowledge of aircraft systems is sufficient.

One of the things that computers do really well is compare data and can determine whether a sensor is lost or something has truly malfunctioned.

The author of this garbage better go back to the crew room and do a better job of eavesdropping.

Don't be surprised if the Airbus fly by wire computers didn't put a perfectly good airplane in the water. In an older generation airplane like the 727 or 737 300/400 the throttles are hooked to the fuel controllers on the engine by a steel throttle cable ... On the Airbus nothing in the cockpit is real. Everything is electronic.

In an older generation airplane when you hit birds the engines keep screaming or they blow up but they don't both roll back to idle simultaneously like happened to Flt. 1549. All it would take is for bird guts to plug a pressure sensor or knock the pitot probe off or plug it and the computers would roll the engines back to idle thinking they were over boosting because the computers were getting bad data. "
Point taken, however this is a very general statement from someone who obviously knows nothing about CFM's or the A-320. This incident has happened before, not on an Airbus but on a B737-800 in Europe. It appears that FADEC might have such "control" over these power-plants, that the possibility of pilot input/trouble shooting has been completely taken out of the equation. I will reiterate, this possible anomaly is not limited to the Airbus! All FADEC equipped engines might need to be re-evaluated.

Latest resources

Back