Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is it ever legitimate to use reverse thrust before touchdown?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You ought to get the instructor to give you a tr deploy on one side and an overspeed on the other side at VR in that lr-jet sim. Pretty messed up stuff happens.

Dang, you must have really ticked off that sim instructor!

The Porter can used Beta during flight without loss of airflow over the empennage. If you were using reverse in flight I can understand. However, with sufficient nose down attitude the Van should be able to utilize Beta in flight without control airflow problems. Especially in the flare during landing.

Oh the nose attitude got low alright. Eventually. Not because the trainee intended to put it there though. I swear I thought that box was going to do a forward flip in the sim bay.

I saw a guy crash a simulator.

And by crash a simulator, I don't mean that he bungled a procedure and has the screens turn bright red with a loud "crunch" noise over the speakers.

I mean this guy splattered the thing on the "runway" so hard during a "landing" that the freakin thing FELL off motion and damn near upended itself right out of the floor anchors. The system was so fried that the tech had to completely shut down and reboot the entire system to unscramble the brains.

And yes, I made him buy a few rounds for that little stunt.

I had a sim crash me!

The instructor had set us up for windshear, but something went wrong. On final (into Memphis if I remember) we hit turbulence so bad I was seriously scared the sim was going to fall off it's base and hit the deck. I started looking for an emergency shutoff, but never found it. We went from 1000' to FL240 before the sim instructor got it shut down. Pieces of the sim's interior were falling off onto the pilots and the floor, by the time it was done you could see from the pilots seat outside into the sim bay. I had no idea the hydraulics on those things could give that violent a ride!

That one almost made me want to take up smoking!

I think it's perfectly OK to perform actions/maneuvers that are specifically prohibited as long as you do it safely.

I've heard of twin otter guys doing it to get back down to the drop zone for another lift of parachutists. Not sure if it's approved or smart, but I'd bet it would expedite operations significantly.

I got into beta accidentally at 50' in a TO years ago when I flew jumpers. Absolutely the worst landing and closest to crashing I've ever had.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back